Coral Vue Hydros

ENVIRONMENTAL GADIENT website.. OPINIONS?

Dave ESPI

Click this one

http://www.dynamicecomorphology.com/getzoned.htm

read the concept and research buttons.

I came across this. Im looking fer opinions/discussion/flames/ response/ Chocolate Chip cookie recipees/thoughts?

I donno what to think.???

its basic bio 101 if ya ask me, but is it really a "New way" to reef filter or just some omes neurotic point about reefing... I dont think it will workfer us nanoers LOL sponges make a lot of noxious toxins in the water. decent site though Food fer thought..;)

I came across that site a while ago and was very intrigued by the concept. Don't have the time to read it all thru now but I will check it out at a later date. I would love to see some photos of the set-ups.

here you go crakeur, it's a form of refugium/scrubbing.

my starts with a 'break' zone to accept the downdraft from the main tank's overflow. caulerpa racemosa and taxifolia and turf algae dominate here among seeded LR and a msb. a plastic tank divider separates this and the next zone which is half crushed coral (12" deep section) and a feed to my 'true' refugium above the main tank. the last zone is the 'dead' or as tyree calls it 'cryptic' zone and the main return to the main tank. there is a lot of sea squirts, feather dusters and vermetid snails that inhabitat this part.

my interpretation of his setup is an adaptation of adey's algae scrubber but with more 'advanced/difficult' organisms sponges, sea squirts, tunicates, etc. i may be getting his concept/names off but i came up with the concept separately. i followed adey's teachings to develop my system. i never even knew he was working on this type of thing. ???

my early setup actually is around the same date of his but i was only looking at it as a zonal refugium as much to grow algae as to restrict air bubbles from returning to tank. :blush: he had much more ambitious plans. this is actually the first i've seen of his setup. very interesting, i may have to buy that book. :

here are two more shots, left and right, so you can see the different zones better. i can't post more than one pic at a time for some reason. :blush: damn newbie!

they're perfect for us lazy bastages! :P doc foster had a sale recently on the small ones (8") so i scarfed up three more for my other tanks. i've eliminated yet another mundane task for reefkeeping (hydrometer check).

boy, i put a lot of effort into being lazy! maybe it's easier doing the work? ???

yeah, right! :D

1/2 cup Lard

1/2 cup Butter

2 1/2 cups All Purpose Unbleached Flour

3/4 cup White Sugar

3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar

2 Eggs

1 tsp. Vanilla

1/2 tsp. Baking Soda

3/4 Bag of Milk Chocolate Chips

Directions: Mix the Lard and Butter, getting them good and creamy. Mix in some of the flour (about half), the brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, vanilla, and baking soda. Work this over until it is thoroughly mixed, then blend in the remaining flour. Here you need to decide just how chocolaty you like your cookies. I usually go with about 3/4 of a bag, but the final choice is all yours. One other note is that I generally don't include nuts in my Chocolate Chip Cookies, I think they are a pain to eat, and just take up room that a chip could be using! Bake at 375 degrees 8-10 minutes, then enjoy!

thanks for the pics tiny. I take it the set-up works well. I wonder if maybe you should contact tyree and tell him he stole your ideas and you want to be compensated. Frags for life sounds good to me.

i stole them from adey actually, hehehe. adey's book is actually pretty good but too much like a school textbook though. zzz

from tyree though, i'd settle for one frag or clam or autographed copy of his book. :happy: i've always admired his work in aquaculture. i didn't know he even was working on filtration stuff.

like i said, my setup just accidentally looks/works kinda like his setup (from what i just read in his description). kinda like how hyundai's and ferrari's are related. i was worried more about stupid air bubbles in the beginning and it just evolved over time into the monster you see.

it works ok for me. the 'cryptic' or 'dead zone' is kind of yucky and scary. :x i don't particularly like sticking my hand in that darker and slimier part for those rare :P maintenance times.

i am going to look into his book though. it does sound interesting but raising sponges and tunicates doesn't sound like for the faint of heart or the lazy of butt. :rolleyes: that'll be for the sps and non-photosynthetic coral growers. ;)

Old news...many hobbist have been using sponges for filteration....In Anthony Calfo's great new book he talks about this and using aiptasia as a filter

Archived