Pod Your Reef

Can I Have a small eel in a nano-cube?

hoobla65

I have a 65g tank, but want a nano-cube instead. In the big tank, I have a very small (maybe 4'') snowflake eel. could he live in the nano-cube?

I wouldnt think for a long time. If you had to put him in there to get him out of the main tank for a little while, that would probebly be ok but it will soon outgrow the nano cube.

Originally posted by hoobla65

Some fish only grow as large as they can cofortably be in a certain aquarium.  Is this not true with eels?

This isn't true for any marine fish.

:angry:

Would you have not grown into adult hood if you lived in a closest your complete life? You still have but under sh¡t conditions.

:rant:

:rant:Whoever stated the fvcked up thought of "Some fish only grow as large as they can cofortably be in a certain aquarium." needs to have thier head checked.:rant:

:rant:

chrisisthereefer

gussy your comment is totally wrong, the 2 eels enderG mentioned have and will do great in a nano cube. and there are quite a few eels that will live and thrive in tanks under 100 gallons.

I agree with bravoreefer. It's a stupid idea to put a fish in a tank where it can't grow fully as this will severly impact its health. It's very cruel.

for any full size eel yes you guys are right but the two I said above are fine for tanks as small as 10g.

and if you took the time to read up you would see just that.

the golden dwarf moray is a great nano kritter. only problem is they can run kinda pricey...like $200-$300

Chestnut eels are only like $30 and are also pretty good nano fish. But both can be hard to find.

just make sure you have a good hood if you get one, they like to climb out.

Actually some of this isn't true...in the case of fish growth can be stunted in 2 ways. The first is that most fish are incapable of growing bigger than their environment allows it. Secondly and most important fish's growth are stunted by hormones released by the other fish in the aquarium, so depending on the size of the aquarium the concenteation of growth hormones will be larger, therefore stunting the growth of the fish...this isn't carved in stone so please make a comment if u disagree.

youngandstupid

Ender is correct. I have never heard of a chestnut eel, and I am interested in finding more about them if you have info. About the dwarf golden moray they only get like a foot long and can be kept in nano's. I would love to put one in my Eclipse 12 but I fear it might be too small and I would need to find a glass hood because I have the 50/50 96 Watt Quad and that sits up. If anyone knows if these would definitely be happy in a 12 for sure, I would love to know that.

according to the scott michael marine fish book the min aquarium sizes and max specimen length are as follows:

chesnut moray- 20 gal, 13.4"

dragon moray-55 gal, 31.5"

chainlink moray- 30 gal, 28"

snowflake moray-30 gal, 29.5"

banded moray- 30 gal, 23.6"

Zebra moray- 55 gal, 3.3'

whitelip moray- 30 gal, 19.7"

whitemouth moray-35 gal, 3.9'

goldentail moray- 30 gal, 23.6"

richardsons moray- 20 gal, 12.6"

note these numbers represent the MINIMUM aquarium size, bigger is always better. also notice that none fo these sizes are less than 20 gal. leading me to believe that it would be quite torturous to have an eel in a nanocube.

youngandstupid

Some of those minimums seem WAY to small even. Dragon Morays and Whitemouth Morays need at least 100 gallons and a fat skimmer to handle their bio-load. I dont see dwarf golden moray on that list, they stay about the same size as the chestnut so I would assume 20 gallon would be the same min for them too. Looks like none in a JBJ, or an Eclipse. :(

No. Listen everyone... fish do not grow to the size of the tank in any way. They grow to their adult size... and if the outside of their body has no room, their insides will continue to develop, resulting in malformed fish.

Nutrition can also play a part... but just get a bigger tank! It isnt that difficult.

kdd, I'd love to see some factual information backing up the whole "hormone" thing.

I have a 20 gallon tank. I put my 14" snowflake moray in it last october. It is now 18" long and twice as fat. it is very healthy and eats 15 live river shrimp a day. In this tank also have a 2 Month old baby shark (not to sure on the type), 5" blue spotted grouper, 4" spotted grunt and a medium sized copperband.

Originally posted by kdd

Actually some of this isn't true...in the case of fish growth can be stunted in 2 ways. The first is that most fish are incapable of growing bigger than their environment allows it. Secondly and most important fish's growth are stunted by hormones released by the other fish in the aquarium, so depending on the size of the aquarium the concenteation of growth hormones will be larger, therefore stunting the growth of the fish...this isn't carved in stone so please make a comment if u disagree.

you just showed your total ignorance.

a fish will grow to its maximum size no matter how big of a tank its in. that is just plane false.

if you put a baby in a bathroom its still giong to grow up to be a person.

secondly its the only evidence of hormone growth stunting is in certain fish like clowns, where only one fish in a group becomes female and grows larger, one becomes male and gets a bit smaller then that and the rest remain asexual and stay relativly small.

please get your facts straight before you spew them all over the place

also BB1080

the reason most books like that dont list anything under a 20 or 30g for min requirements is most books(and up till recently even websites like live aquaria) didnt recongnize tanks under 20 or 30g to be capable saltwater tanks

they now show min tank sizes down to 10g...

Originally posted by EnderG60

you just showed your total ignorance.

a fish will grow to its maximum size no matter how big of a tank its in.  that is just plane false.

if you put a baby in a bathroom its still giong to grow up to be a person.

I'm not saying your right or wrong, but humans and fish aren't exactly the same species? Don't know if that analogy works very well...

And I almost forgot my hippo that I raised in a dorm fridge. The cramped conditions and metabolism-slowing cold stunted and malformed her a little too.

hehe i like your anaolgys better :)

over the last year working at a LFS, i have seen many fish taken in after over growing tanks.

for example : a 6" yellow tang from a 55g, a 6" tomato clown from a 29g, 10" naso tang from a 90g and so on and so on.

Archived