Coral Vue Hydros

DIY 13W Ballast Box

wannabeafarmer

wannabeafarmer

Just thought I'd post this, kind of as a follow up for all of you that helped me with the wiring on the 13w CF Ballasts.

I got a burnt out computer power supply from a local repair shop, gutted it, and used it to house two of the ballasts for my 13w CF light, going on my 10 gal softies tank.

Thanks again for everyones help!

wannabeafarmer

The rubbermaid tub under the tank will be the sump, the one you see inside the tank sits on top of the sump and will be a small refugium.

wannabeafarmer

Power center (ghetto-fied)...three sets of two outlets, each pair on an individual switch for daylight, actinic, and pumps. Moonlights and cooling fans will be hardwired.

well i dont have much to say but to me it just look like danger lolz. Im not much of a DIY when it comes to wires and live wires so i tend to stay away from them lolz.

As long as you cover up all the loose wire with some sort of insulator the box is fine. I housed a 175w MH ballast in a pc power supply (without a fan). It worked great, and looked really clean. Just makes sure nothing touches the box.

wannabeafarmer

Thanks for the tip...I double checked it, and everything is screwed down, shrink wrapped, or otherwise secure.

I have to make one more of these, the next one with 4 ballasts...gonna be a LITTLE tight in there!

It is the same setup I have. I have three 13watt ballasts in one power supply box. It works great. I have the whole thing grounded for extra safety. One thing I would recommend is adding a molex plug and socket in the wires to the bulbs. It is then much easer to run the wires and move things around. If you need to work on your hood you don't have to lug the ballasts around.

Here is a pic of what I have. I mounted the ballasts on a piece of 16 ga steel so I could remove them as a unit. It makes it much easer to wire and work on. I attached it using the screws from the original PCB. The only modification I made to the power supply case was a hole in the back to accept the molex socket.

wannabeafarmer

I think that I see what you did. That's a six position molex, with three for the leads of the ballasts, and three for the negatives...correct?

Neat Idea...I might have to do some re-engineering...

LMK if I got that right...

Thanks!

You are right. I got the socket and plug from radio shack for around $4. I don’t have a molex crimping tool and I didn’t like the wires being just crimped on so I crimped and soldered them. It might be a bit of over kill but that is not always a bad thing.

I think all together the ballasts, wire, heat shrink, and some zip ties cost around $20. The case was free and everything else I had. I didn’t have any bulb sockets so I used some molex connecters and some heat shrink.

Well Dog my Cats if this isn't a good idea, I'll have to do this for my 10G dual 15w ballasts. About what do you think the highest wattage those 13w CF can stand? Do you have any pictures of the molex connector for the end of the bulb? How did you ground the box, did you just have a ground wire attach to the metal? Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I am excited.

Archived