Top Shelf Aquatics

what kind of snail is this?

kenicheema

We just saw this thing at the LFS, they said it's new and they don't know anything about it either. Have anyone seen this b4? Do you know anything about these?

UnknownSnail.jpg

Edit: Opps ... I meant "saw" not "got" ...

Wow that is messed up. But from the looks of it, do the following:

-cover filter intakes

-be ready for it to die

This is a good reason why impulse buys arent good. Do you even know what it eats, or if you can provide that?

sea slugs aren't that great for a tank... if they die they'll release toxins that will most likely kill everything else in your tank.

And yes... watch out for your intakes!!!

Originally posted by BKtomodachi

Wow that is messed up.  But from the looks of it, do the following:

-cover filter intakes

-be ready for it to die

This is a good reason why impulse buys arent good.  Do you even know what it eats, or if you can provide that?

He stated he SAW it at a LFS, he didn't say he bought it.

Bob

Hello,

I think that this wonderful critter is a type of headshield slug. I'm not sure of the species but check out Hydatina amplustre in the link below for a close lookalike. ;)

http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?...m?base=hydaampl

If you have the time and the inclination a browse of the seaslugforum.net will show you lots of lovely slug pictures of similar critters and you may well find a match for the one you saw.

Generally they are specific predators feeding on sandbed worms etc and as with most nudibranchs they will prove difficult to keep in captivity. Such a pity as it's a very striking looking thing. Best to leave it in the shop I think.

Best regards

Ann

Edit: Duh! I see that joshnemily has already pointed you in the right direction for an ID. Note to self must read responses better before replying. LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived