Coral Vue Hydros

goby never shows himself

xstealthrtx

i've got a yellow-watchman goby and he never comes out. last week i switched my tank from an eclipse 6 to a 5.5 AGA and i guess i should just wait. but he's got great spots that he goes into the rock but he never comes out. i barely see him eat when it's feeding time. is there anything i can do to make him more comfortable?

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is the same way, I have to sit in front of my 29 for 4-5 minutes before he comes out. I think now he is getting used to it, but whenever anyone walks by the tank, or even by my room, he swims into a little cave. Someone at my lfs told me if I can get a pistol shrimp to pair with him, he would be out more.

Yeah, get a shrimp, it will help. Although I gotta say I've never seen a shy watchman. I was at one of the lfs, and they have half a dozen of the littles ones I have ever seen - about an inch and a quarter long. Man, were they cute - and all perched out in the open. I have a watchman with a Randall's pistol and he perches right outside his little cave all day long. It's funny to watch him freak out when the shrimp wanders a little too far away from the cave - he gets all mothery or something. Funny as hell.

Mine hides too - but only some of the time. I haven't figured out what the pattern is. Sometimes he hides, other times he darts out of his hole and "yells" at me (he makes eye contact and rushes the glass opening and closing his mouth - I swear he's ####ed about something :))

I have a pistol shrimp, but it sadly kicked the YWG out of the burrow after one night. Maybe it snored?

Archived