Pod Your Reef

Nano Cube, overflow box Idea?

Bobalouy

Originally posted by dga

this wont work with the dx version, as there is only a top intake. if the level fell below the small cut outs, there would be no water entering the sump to cycle.

If you didnt Top off by then I think you would have other problems to worry about, considering all the water in the back would have to run dry, and then the tank level would drop.

Nickeleye - Looks, good glad people are trying it, Ive been alittle side tracked latley.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just cut out small knotches above the grated area, and when my water gets stirred, I simply cover the grate with a square peice of plastic bag, it looks clean, and you can control how vigorous u want it to skim. Your water level is going to drop in the filter compartments, so it is not good to always have it on.

Dane

I did mine with the notches abobe and used a thin piece of clear plexi to cover the existing grate. I also drilled a small whole in the center and moved the stock pump to chamber 1 with the nozzle poked through the hole. the nozzle increases surface agitation as well as holds the plexi in place. seems to work awsome sofar. I think the overflow idea might work if you decreased the water level, or made the notches a little smaller.

Originally posted by FloorLord

I just cut out small knotches above the grated area, and when my water gets stirred, I simply cover the grate with a square peice of plastic bag, it looks clean, and you can control how vigorous u want it to skim. Your water level is going to drop in the filter compartments, so it is not good to always have it on.

Dane

this sounds like a great idea. with the dx only having a top intake, there is only about 1/2 - 3/4 of a inch b4 the water level gets to low to cycle, which is still above the site line, and if the entire intake is completley blocked off the pumps will just empty the sump and cause an overflow. way b4 its time to top off.

Originally posted by Bobalouy

If you didnt Top off by then I think you would have other problems to worry about, considering all the water in the back would have to run dry, and then the tank level would drop.

if the entire upper intake was blocked off and just the notches were there, as soon as the water level fell below this line there would be no water to intake and the sump would pump all of its contents to the main tank causing it to overflow.(regardless of it needing to be topped off or not) which is only about 3/4 of a inch down which is still above the site line. that is why this wont work for the dx version which only has a upper intake.

It would be no different than doing the overflow mod on a DX, or putting an overflow and sump on a regular tank, the main tank level will always stay the same, and any evaporation will lower the rear chamber or sump.

if sump was pumping its water out it would fill up and go into overflow until it ran dry so i dont think there woul be an overflow. Are you making this modification for sale or can you provide some plans so others can make one as well. Also how did you do that second bulk head scwd or two pumps and what room did that leave in the back to make a fuge.

Originally posted by Nickeleye

Here are some pictures of my version of the mod. The box is not glued or permanently attached to the back of the tank. I actually made the sides of the box so that they have small hook-like pieces that slide right over the top edge of the back wall.

Very nice! I will do this mod today and I will post pics. I have a question though-- you said it's not glued to the back wall, so does it bob up and down from surface agitation?

dga:

I have no idea what you are looking at!

If you do not top off your tank, you are right, it will not overflow, that is why:

a) you can raise and lower the peice of plastic bag to control how high the water wil raise.

b)you must modify your filtration (sponge or filter floss will slow flowage)

c) why the heck would u not top ur tank?????? lol

dane

Originally posted by xtm

Very nice! I will do this mod today and I will post pics. I have a question though-- you said it's not glued to the back wall, so does it bob up and down from surface agitation?

No, it does not bob up and down at all. If you look closely at the picture taken from the top side of the tank (with the lid open), you can actually see that the right wall of the box also has a small "hook-like" device that slides over the back wall of the tank. The size of this hook is just enough to fit snugly over the wall (approx. 1/8") and so it does not move.

alas your correct. it would not overflow. in my minds eye as i saw it is obvious i didnt think it through (big brain fart i guess).

as far as top offs, by the time the level drops in my nanocube dx, which is about 1/2 - 3/4" its time to due a water change which comes weekly. i fill it up to just over the top edge of the intake, by the time it gets down to site level as in the above mentioned distance i can't see topping off and the s.g. stays the same. time to look at this cool mod.

also could'nt one just cut notches in the top of the existing wall right above the intake to "help" skim? when the water level falls below the cut notches the factory intake picks up. or would there not be enough intake suction to skim if the main factory one is not closed off.

Done!! This mod is awesome!!!! My water surface looks soooo clean like it has that "polished" look. No more nagging wife because I emptied the napkin roll (to clean the surface scum)... LOL

nanu-full.jpg

The only difference is that I used Aquamend (epoxy) to attach the DIY surface skimmer to the back of the nanocube instead of the "hook" method-- the problem now is that the epoxy made my protein skimmer produce tons and tons of bubbles.... any suggestions on how to resolve this?

thanks again

What did you use to cut the notches. I made a verry similar model but it does not look quite as clean. Any advice would be helpfull

Originally posted by xtm

bogeydog, I use a Cheapo Jebo Skimmer. It works just fine :D

Nickeleye, this is a 12G Nnaocube.....Drilled. It has an overflow going to a 30G sump.

Any reason you're not just running a 40 gal. reef instead?

Breaker4show
Originally posted by Nickeleye

Any reason you're not just running a 40 gal. reef instead?

Im going to assume he doesnt set up a 40 gallon reef instead is because sump doesnt need exspensive lights, or more corals! All it does is add water volume without the extra cost of the stuff needed for a 40 gallon reef!

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

So here's my latest:

After removing this mod from the tank due to noise issues and trying other solutions I decided to give this new idea a shot. I used the box I already created, but drilled three holes across the bottom. The idea being that a small amount of water will flow through the bottom of the box, but even more water still flows over the top so you still get the water cleaning effect. So far, this is a completely silent mod. The holes in the bottom allow some water to come in from the bottom to fill the back chamber from a lower level instead of ALL the water coming from the top, which was creating a lot of splashing and sounded like a waterfall in the tank. This was highly annoying at night when trying to sleep. In any case, I've posted two new pics of the revised mod. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that this will continue to solve the noise issue.

By the way, I did test how much water flow was going through the holes. A credit card sucks right up to the outside of the box via suction with no problems. Looks like the holes are just enough to add a little extra flow to the bottom of the box, but keep the majority of the water skimming from the top.

SkimBoxv2_Front_LR.jpg

SkimBoxv2_Side_LR.jpg

That is CLEAN, thanx for the great idea, I was having the same problem, but, never thought of that, works great! thanks again

Dane

Archived