Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what is this? ID please

jenniebutterfly

jenniebutterfly

This came attached to a gsp i bought today. i have no clue what kind of coral it is, here it is without a flash

9765fishy_2299-med.jpg

and here it is with the flash and a bit closer up

9765fishy_2300-med.jpg

jenniebutterfly

so i guess it is a brain, it looks bad in the pics, but a bit better in person, and the good news is it had it's feeder tentacles out after lights out. i am hoping it starts looking better, my lfs had this end stuck down in the sand so that may contribute to it's sad appearance. i hope it fully recovers.

Yeah, looks like a brain. I hope you can nurse it back to health :). Do you feed your corals? Put some food made for filter feeders in there and see what happens.

jenniebutterfly

i did i put phyto in there after i saw that. i hope it does get healthy again, but i guess the tentacles coming out is a good sign :)

Looks like a Favia spp. (or is that Favites..without going to Borneman I always forget which has separate corallite walls and which has common corallite walls). And phytoplankton isn't going to do any good. Matter of fact..about the only corals that directly consume phytoplankton are softies and gorgonians...most LPS and SPS don't touch the stuff. Try feeding some meaty foods (frozen silversides, Formula 1, etc etc) directly when the feeders are out.

Cheers,

Fred

jenniebutterfly

well it ain't getting any tonight lol, i was planning on doing that tomorrow with my regular feeding schedule.

Favia/ aka moon stone. Favites have the seperating walls.

BTW I have no idea what you rlighting situation is but I would definately turn it right side up so it is facing your bulbs.

jenniebutterfly

it is as right side up as it is gonna get lol. it is attached to that gsp rock, but i have two separate jbj lights, and one is on an angle pointing towards it :)

Archived