Top Shelf Aquatics

Power heads!

DevouR

Ok i am sick of my heat radiating LOUD bulky Z## med power sweeps... I'v had alot of probs with mine:(

Anyway in your opion whats the best powerheads or pumps for nano's. Per setup of course:)

thx

I just have a single aquaclear 301 in my 20L right now. I want to add a second but the first one seems to have raised the temp from 78 to @80 degrees. So I'm interested in what other people have to say here.

Many people don't like Rio powerheads but I've got 3 in my 10gal. Two Rio 90's for circulation and a Rio400 for my Refugium.. I have no complaints with them at all..

Here we go again ...... I've had problems with Maxijet 600s. Two impellers failed in the first six months of service so I haven't been too impressed. The news is not ALL bad though. They are pretty quiet and the mounting hardware is excellent. The service department was also very good. I called their tech department in Ohio late one afternoon and they sent me two new impellers free of charge, no questions asked, no need to return broken parts within a couple of weeks. YES they admitted to there being some problems with the impellers. Hopefully they have resolved the glue problem.

A sump and/or closed loop system with bulkheads and high capacity ports is another attractive option if you have the money. Powerheads don't look so great in small tanks.

A sump and/or closed loop system with bulkheads and high capacity ports is another attractive option if you have the money. Powerheads don't look so great in small tanks

I Was thinking the same thing:)

Whats a good sump for a 29gl ( 30x12x18)?

I'm not that good @ DIY's hehe

Micro, Mini, or Maxi-jet. Never a problem among dozens of examples, and no sound at all, as far as I can tell. My surface movement is quiet but you can't hear the pumps over the gently gurgling.

If you look at the power consumption (watts or amp draw) that will tell you the relative amount of heat delivered to the tank. (As long as efficiency is relatively equal among powerheads, which I believe to be true except when using reverse flow setups.)

If your pump is loud, check whether any part of the hard plastic body is touching the glass. That forms a sounding board instead of allowing the water/soft rubber to dampen sound waves. (If you're using the aerating feature it makes a racket, but who like micro-bubbles anyway?)

Archived