Pod Your Reef

True perc Question????????

kevin25

FloridaShock

Are the ones at your lfs a mated pair? I paid $80 for my mated pair, but a regular pair was $50. I think it's best to just buy them at a store instead of online, that way you know what your getting.

I dont know if they were mated. I never thought to ask.. Is it best to get a mated pair? YEah i agree with you, ordering livestock online isnt the way to go with me either.

Careful when getting a "mated pair". Some stores will stick two clowns together and call it a mated pair. A real mated pair has produced eggs, while a pair is just a male and female that have accepted each other. If you are looking for the regular true percs then just watch the LFS tank for a bit and you should be able to get a good idea of the hierarchy. You should not pay more than $18 each fish, so $36 a pair. A true "mated pair" will run more because they are proven to produce offspring.

Here is a quick run through to find a good pair for your tank.

If there is a big tank full of clowns there will be one that is more aggressive then the others. That clown will be the female and will chase and bully around all the other clowns. It may be hard to see the dominant male in the tank but he will be the second in the chain of aggression.

If you pick up the largest bully in the tank and the smallest healthy fish in there you should be able to pair them up. With time you may get a mated pair but unless you are willing to take the time and money to raise fry it isn't worth it. The percs, ocellaris, skunks and other less aggressive clowns are not as difficult to pair.

Hope that helps

Thanks, that was helpful. Your right they do stick them together and call them mated. If their really a mated pair who know's, but I well listen to your advice about picking them out.

Thanks

Archived