SaltCritters.com

Jmt Mb7

jmt

Beggining of a new tank. 1/05.

Got an MB7 from Petsmart for about $40. Then ordered a 20" Current Satellite 1x40w fixture with the moonlight. I took the fixture apart, and cut it down to 17.75" and readjusted the reflector and the rest of the internals. Then I got some legs and mounted it on my MB7. That's it for now.

Before:

5403beforecut.JPG

After:

5403redone.JPG

5403withlegs.JPG

It will be stocked within the next few weeks. I am making equipment decisions right now.

Thanks.

-jmt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm putting a 70w MH over my mini-bow, but i had to build a custom hood.

I got mine at petsmart too because they seemed to have the best price of everywhere i checked

i hate jmt and his stupid, "hey everyone, look what i can do" threads!! :P don't bother telling him what you guys think he should do with the lighting....i'm sure he already has plans to retro a 400w de into the fixture or something ridiculous like that. how many tanks do you have now jmt? i swear you are upgrading or working on something newfangled ever couple months or so.

anyway, looks good bro can't wait to see the updates.

Thanks.

I like to feel like I actually contribute something to the nano reef community. You know, aside from smart ass comments.

Anyway, the PC will stay because the tank is going to be all softie. My SPS are being moved into a custom cube I had built and that's where the MH is going.

-Justin

CReated a float switch mount/guard for the MB7.

It's made from a film canister, two ziptes, and an airline holder.

Cost: About $5 for the floatswitch.

5403fsguard.JPG

5403fsmounted.JPG

-jmt

Working on closed loop. The loop is built, but not mounted since I dont have a background on yet. It will be flat black.

It's made from a Gen-X pump and some Marineland canister filter tubing. Total Cost: $40

Here's some progress shots. More when the it is mounted.

5403closed.JPG

5403loopontank.JPG

-jmt

floatswitches.net

or

ebay

It's the Gen-X GX1000. It's a 265gph pump. That's the reason I got a diffuser tip instead of a flare nozzle. The diffuser slows the flow some and splits the flow directionaly to top and bottom (left/right, etc.). I found the flow to be just perfect.

However, the pump is fairly loud. There are no leaks, which is good, and the pump seems to perform well, but I would not reccomend it to anyone looking for something quiet.

Thanks.

-jmt

Tinted the back of the tank today. Two coats of 20% Black Limo Tint. It's pretty dark, but still gives off a little glow from surrounding light.

Total Cost: $6

5403blacktint.JPG

Proof:

5403tintproof.JPG

Thanks.

-jmt

Will be better pics when the bubbles clear out.

Yes. 3 Acros, 1 Monti. And there is some Monti attachted to the rock. The Monti on the rock is staying, the rest is going into an SPS only cube.

Thanks.

I wouldn't mind seeing how you modded your light as well as a link to where you got it.

things look really good so far. looking forward to some more pics when its a little clearer.

Smokin-Reefer

looks pretty sweet man. I was acctually thinking of rigging a closed loop in the same fashion. I should get on that!

can't wait till it clears up!

km: Basically, just cut off 3" of the aluminum. Then cut the reflector to fit inside, and put it all back together. The entire thing took me 45mins.

my apology if this is a dumb question. what did you use to cut the aluminum hood? just try to get all the info. before i take a dive at it.

by the way, i used the same film canister to build a snail guard. you may want to drill couple holes to let out any air that gets trapped inside.

thanks for the great pix.

very nice set up jmt...how snug is the float switch to the tank? i'd like to set a similar one up, but i'm paranoid about have it come loose and cause problems...

Archived