Cultivated Reef

My year old 2.5 gal.

1996indy500

I have had this tank for a year and a month. I have two kinds of sps. One is not doing as well as the other because of water flow. It is lit with a corallife 20watt pc. Filter is a mini-biowheel HOB. There is candycane, recordia, red mushrooms, pom-pom, frogspawn, nemo, scarlet hermit, blue leg, two snails, a few small serpent stars and coraline gallor.

9cabdb6f.jpg

So what do you think about the tank. I am going to move up to a 10gal. I have plans to modify it so there is a in tank sump.

Here are some more pics

d364199c.jpg

f6a3512d.jpg

54fc5b5a.jpg

What are you using for filtration, water movement, etc? What water changes do you do?

I have a 2.5 that I have had set up since the summer. I am using a small powerfilter to do the flow and a small heater. Plus a 20 watt PC bulb.

For filtration I have a peguin biowheel mini. It does not have a very high flow rate but it gets the job done. For water movement I have a Rio 50. I haven't figured out how to change the water movement, that is probably why the purple sps is not doing well. I love the 20w pc though.

I keep the Ca level up very high. I also use Kent's pro buffer with coraline booster. I have a hard time keeping it off where I do not want it. I have to scrape it off alot.

I added my clown about two and a half weeks after I put water in the tank. My clown is a tank raised fish. I also got him when he was very young. He was the smallest clownfish I had ever seen.

The light is a 20 WATT MINI COMPACT FLUORESCENT - 50/50. Those are the sweetest things ever. $15 to $20 bucks and you have 20 watts of pc lighting. However my bulb is ready for a change I have had it for a year now so the sectrums are probably a little off.

Does anyone know how long the sectrums last on these types of bulbs?

WOW... looks great!! I was worried about trying to put SPS in my tank under PC lighting, but you certainly seem to have it goin on!! Keep up the good work :D

I was a little worried at the beginning, but everything else was doing so good I had to try it. I just got another sps a week ago. It is some kind of a ruffled ridge sps. It is brown with yellow polyps. It is doing great. It's polyps were out about 30min after I put it in. The biggest problem I have with keeping sps is water movement. I have the rio 50 but is does not change direction, I know sps like water turbulence. What I lose in water movement I try to make up in water quality. I do a small water change two times a week.

FraGgLeRok: you should try sps. It looks like you have enough light and water movement.

hey indy500

nice looking tank, i was thinking about building a 2.5g, you 2 20w bulbs could work on this set up? that would be 16w/gal. i would prob mount some dual fans in my hood. Can you post a pic of the inside of your hood. Did you paint the inside?

I think it was SamWoo2Go who put a mirror behind his light for more reflection

thanks

Howf777: I am not at home right now but I will post a picture of my hood sometime this weekend.

I painted the inside black, but on the top behind the bulbs I glued aluminium foil with rubber cement. It works really well. But a mirror would work well too.

You talked about two fans. That is a good idea because I have to prop my hood up a little during the day because of heat. A fan would take care of that though.

hey indy

it looks good, i mite just go with foil, its a much cheaper alternative. Those builbs work off of your std bulb socket right? i dont have to get a ballast or anything. you think 2 bulbs would work in a tank that small?

Yea the foil is awesome and cheep. The 20 WATT MINI COMPACT FLUORESCENT - 50/50 will work in any standard socket. I got mine out of an old desk lamp. These bulbs are self ballasted. So just plug them in and you are set. I think two of these bulbs on a 2.5gal would be the coolest. I am planning to do that or something similar soon. Because they only come in 50/50 I was wanting to get an 18watt pc that is full actinic instead.

I have a picture of my new sps. I don't really know what it is but it looks great.

sps2.jpg

Here are some pictures of my corals at night. I have two LED moonlights on my tank. I made them out of stuff from Radio Shack.

night.jpg

I love this one.

green.jpg

Archived