Coral Vue Hydros

B16A2NR's 3.5 TRUVU

B16A2NR

Wow!! This thread has made me want a TruVu! I looked on TruVus Website and it says the dimensions are 10x8.5x17.5 which = 6.4 gallons not 3.5? Are Truvu's dimensions including the base and hood?If so ,could you please tell me the dimension?

Again, amazing nano!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Zephyr. Those demensions are for a different tank. The 3.5 is kinda a rare tank for truvu. Demensions are on the absolute first post of this loooong thread. One dude was selling his for $75 or $100 but thats a little much. There were a few links made in this thread as well for places to purchase it onlline, but I think those were dead leads.

wow. your tank is just simply so beautiful! i can't believe it's only 3.5gallons! SPS! wow.

i'm thinking of getting some monti caps myself. i noticed you put one almost on top of the other, did you notice a lot of growth from the bottom one? i read from garf that they put them close togehter and they grow faster that way to compete with each other for space.

The caps show the fastest growth of my sps. The two caps on the right side (orange on top, green with purple rim on bottom) do compete for light and its interesting to see their growth pattern. The top one has folded over to spread out and grab more light, and making miniature shelves over itself. Its spread so far that its hitting my right wall and creeping up the side of the acrylic.

The bottom one has began making a cup formation as an attempt to grab more light, but the edges that do get full light are folded over and extending horizontal like the top one.

dhbl8h.jpg

What are the demensions of the bottom base? I would like to know because i cant find these tanks for sale so i want to make my own. And how thick is the acrylic on these tanks? Thanks

-Cody

Well i guess i could build one without the bent corners! I know the base is 2 3/4" high but how wide and long is it? And i know the hood is 4" tall by how wide and long is it?

Zephyr: This image from page two shows how the glass would rest between the canopy and the tanks top. The 4 rubber nubs on the corners of the glass a gap between the tank and the glass. The canopy has 2 acrylic bars epoxy'd on two sides that keep the canopy from sliding all the way down.Hope this answers your question.

dwyr8k.jpg

Mushroom Head: The pedistal is 8 1/2" wide and 7" deep and 5mm thick. Same size acrylic as the canopy. The tank is a little thinner at 3mm thick. My friend SSMangrove made a similar size canopy and found a make shift tank out of a ticket box from tap plastics: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ight=ssmangrove

Heres whats new with my tank: I've upgraded my impeller on my stock aquaclear mini to the impeller from the aquaclear 300 powerhead. Flow was a little stronger than expected so I shaved a little off each blade with a dremel. My flow has nearly doubled, and my corals couldn't be happier. I also used epoxy clay to mold deflectors on the lip of the filter to disperse water to harder to reach areas.

Today I have made a dramatic change to my tanks cooling. I swapped out my VGA chiller and installed a DIY peltier chiller. My full DIY instructions can be found here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=67575 The tank temp dropped to 81.5 a 3 degrees difference and I spent a grand total of 20 bucks! Heres pics of it mounted on my hob filter. I now have 3 chillers on my tank.

dwyo1c.jpg

dwyo2p.jpg

I don't think I will ever frag the caps. To me its not worth making 10 bucks to take chunks out of a beautiful coral. I prefer to let things fill in naturally and overlap one another.

• 1 month later...

I would definatly say most of my coloration is due to such an intense light focused over such a small body of water. Its also important to start with beautiful corals to begin with, some corals color up overtime but it never hurts to start with something that is already looking nice.

10" Red Devil
I would definatly say most of my coloration is due to such an intense light focused over such a small body of water. Its also important to start with beautiful corals to begin with, some corals color up overtime but it never hurts to start with something that is already looking nice.

Interesting, but you know its funny because there are a quite a few people out there that have really strong lighting, onthefly comes to mind (250watts over a 12" tall tank), that are experiencing an over all lightening in their sps. I myself have expereinced this phenomena and I have the almost exact same setup as OTF. Anyway I am trying small doses of reefplus (amino acid 1ml 2x a week) and adding coral vite in small doses 1x. After 2 weeks already starting to notice a small diff in an SPS frag.

You know I noticed that you do Chromaplex, and mineral supplimentation, I wouldnt be suprised if this is why you get such good color. Among the usual keeping your Ca, Alk, MG, SG, temp stable.

Archived