Coral Vue Hydros

no one warned me....

achu

no..no... my tank didn't crash yet, dave....;)

why didn't anyone warn me!! Those yellow zoanthids are really yellow aiptasias!!! MAN! Oh my... I can just imagine that in another few months, that is all I will have in my tank because they will have even overtaken my star polyps! They seem to pop up all over.. they grow over a rock and when they run out of space, they keep growing a "lump" until it falls off and then the "lump" grows heads and it starts all over!!!

I guess it would be a stupid question to ask how to contain them... so maybe I'll ask, is there a "trading" market for yellow polyps?

I'd like a tiny cool colored toadstool... maybe some purple gorgonian... mushrooms, little things...? Give me another few weeks to have some better sized "lumps of yellow aiptasia"

And for those of you that have had yellow zoanthids in the past, did you manage to keep them? Or did you finally have to get rid of them because they were becoming pests?

achu

printerdown01

Ummm.... they aren't even closely related to aptasia... Well no more closely than lets say button polyps (or there abouts). You will find that some corals will grow REALLY well in your tank, and can become even pest like, LOL. I had a problem with frogspawn in my 55 -grew really large and stung everything that was around! In my nano, it is turning out to be my xenia and green shrooms. The shrooms are multiplying and bailing off... unfortunately they keep landing next to my porites, which are reacting poorly to their new neighbors (tissue receding...) I keep having to cut the shrooms off the rock and find new homes for them. But don't worry they aren't quite as bad as aptasia... Although if you get really sick of them a pepp will eat them -just like aptasia.... -but I don't see a reason to get rid of the cool polyps ;).

Thanks, I feel better...

BUT, when it comes to the point where I"m hacking off their heads to keep them from stinging and killing their neighbors, I'll trade the heads for the green ones that you are hacking off huh??? :D

They are "reaching out to touch their neighbors" but, so far, their neighbors (other zoanthids and stary polyps) are not reacting adversly...

achu

Some of the 'yellow polyps' iv seen look too much like aiptasia to ever go in one of my tanks. Look absolutely nothing like any type of zoanthid or button polyp iv seen. Look identical to aiptasia except yellow in color.

Archived