Cultivated Reef

How long will my clown bully the other

Blind Tree Frog

Blind Tree Frog

Last night I added two yellow strip clowns to my tank. They came from seperate tanks at the LFS but since I was adding them to mine at the same time I wasn't that worried about it. One is noticably larger and has more yellow in his stripes then the other, so I'm guessing he's older. He's also chasing the other around and beating the snot out of him (I came in this morning and finally saw the small one with some fin tearage). I'm assuming that once the alpha is figured out this will stop, but any guesses as to how long this will take?

Or I guess it could be like the elephant on the simpsons and I just bought an expensive punching bag for the other fish.

Its just yellow are a little bit meaner than regular clowns, and they are establishing the larger is the female and the lil guy is the male.

If physical marks are noticed though, may want to think about taking that one back...

Blind Tree Frog

The only physical marks I've been seeing are that the less front fin is missing a chunk. I don't see any bruises or anything. For the most part watching them today, when the small one comes out from hiding, the big one chases it around and gives up when the other goes into hiding. Rarely does the big one go into hiding after the small.

so would naming them Ike and Tina be inapporpriate?

What size is your tank? Maroons like to have alot of space. So if your tank is less than 40gal, the 2 maroons will probably be fighting until one is dead or is removed.

If you have a decent fuge, and you are set on keeping a pair, you could relocate the agressive one there for a week or so to interrupt this behavior, then reintroduce to your main tank and see what happens...

honestly, there's probably nothing you can do to remedy the situation except remove one. the bigger one is probably sexually mature, so he's aggressive to all other clownfish, and he will probably bully the small one until he is dead. I'd take one back.

Archived