Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hydrometer reading help...

Chromis

I am finally adding water to a tank I have been planning for at least 4 months now!!! Anyways, I am using a Tropic Marin Hydrometer which is caliberated at 77F degrees. My temp hasn't stablized and is currently at about 83F but I was curious how I adjust my target salinity to current tempature? My tempature will definately not remain 83F but I really doubt it will get down to 77F. Anyone have a chart or something?

Hydrometer calibration depends on the specific model you're using. However, many are similar. If you're calibrated to 77 degrees but reading at 83 degrees, that's a 6 degree correction, which is probably on the shy side of 1 point. In other words, if you read 1.022 you probably have almost 1.023.

Nice article, but it's not exactly the most straightforward temperature calibration table. So I went and dug mine out. Here are some numbers for my Cynmar triple-scale (approximate if you're applying this to different models.)

Keep in mind that mine is calibrated true at 60 degrees, yours probably will vary. So transpose numbers as needed, and take the results with a grain of salt (HA HA HA!)

50 degrees - subtract 1/2 point

60 degrees - reads true

70 degrees - add 1 points

77 degrees - add 2 points

84 degrees - add 3 points

95 degrees - add 5 points

105 degrees - add 7 points

there are a lot of crappy refractometers on the market now.....

BEWARE ! dont get a ######ty cheep one.

I have some really good ones fer like 125.00 if ya want one. (retails fer like 180.00)

I dont use them often... I have mixed enough water that I can just eyeball it, and do the "dip taste test" :D usualy im with in like .02

Archived