Coral Vue Hydros

New 10gal nano

p@ndor@

Long time lurker, first time poster! I'm very happy to announce the beginning of my very own 10 gal nano!

My setup is as follows:

standard 10gal glass tank

Coralife 96watt Powerquad lighting unit

AC500 modded refugium with skimmer attachment

MaxiJet 600

Visitherm 100watt heater

(this will be replaced by a Jager Ebo 50watt placed into my refuge after the cycle - wanna keep a close eye on my temp during the beginning)

20lbs live rock (about 19lbs in main tank and 1lb rubble in refuge)

20lbs sand (and about 1lb crushed coral in refuge)

Refugium will be used as a pod and macroalgae haven. Current water readings indicate that my cycle is progressing nicely. I started this up on Friday, Dec 31 and by Sat afternoon I had my first signs of life: pods and what I believe are 2 baby feather dusters. Pods have been increasing in number over the past couple of days and I spotted one more duster (I think).

Does anyone else's boyfriends think it's odd that you find enjoyment sitting for hours in front of a box of rocks?

All comments and opinions on my (first) aquascaping are very welcome!! I paid a bit too much for my live rock, but I supported (what I consider to be) the best LFS in Atlanta and really couldn't be happier with my purchase! (Loads of life and almost entirely covered in multi-colored coraline!)

I look forward to updating with new and exciting pictures in a few weeks after my cycle is complete! (Don't worry, I will be patient ... been lurking for a long time and I don't wanna be roasted, hehe.)

Jessie

Atlanta, Ga

P.S. Forgive the poor picture quality, my camera sucks. But my roommate is returning from holiday with a brand new camera, so future pix will look much better.

Ooh, and I found this really odd green thing in a hole in my rock at the back of my tank last night ... no pix, yet, but it resembles a frog's face, but it's "eyes" look more like mouths -- they open and close. It looks like it's attached to the rock and it's starting to freak me out! I watched as it "pulled" itself into the hole a bit. Once I get my hands on the new camera I will post in the ID forum. Really strange tho!

Looks nice and clean, you can always play around with the rocks untill you get the them way you like, i changed mine plenty of times! I am a fan of over hangs and caves.

Any idea for what you would like to have in there? (corals)

Cheers

Yeah, nothing too fancy. I definitely want either a frogspawn or hammer (nice spot to the right to place him so he won't bother anyone), a sun coral (near the top for easy feedings), some shrooms (beneath the overhangs and in the shades) and zoos.

I'm gonna take it slow on the stocking to make sure I "really really want" something (and can successfully keep it) before I buy it.

Gonna have lots of inverts, tho .. I just love porcelain crabs! Ooh, and the shrimp/goby pair will be my main attraction.

Archived