Pod Your Reef

My New Year's Nano

aquawolf

Well, I actually set it up on December 30, but close enough.

This is my first venture into SW and I am greatly looking forward to it. As a newbie, I am open to comments or criticism, but would appreciate good suggestions if you have any.

Here is a view from the front:

NewNano1.jpg

This is a side view:

NewNano2.jpg

And a shot from the front at a downward angle so you can see the spacing between some of the LR:

NewNano3.jpg

Current residents are 10 blue leg hermits, 4 turbo snails, 1 astrea and a tiny horseshoe crab.

Michael

jenniebutterfly

now i see it, rocks look nice, what kind of tank is it? what kind of lights, and what are you planning on jkeeping later, any ideas? :)

Sorry, I have lurked out here long enough to know I should have posted the specs.

It is a 12g JBJ Nano Cube DX. It is still stock at this point.

It contains 20lbs of LS and 13lbs of LR. The top piece of LR is only 3 or 4 inches beneath the water line so I think I am pretty close to my limit for LR.

I would like to see what grows on the LR by itself for a while, it is from Fiji and has some very interesting colors and perhaps other lifeforms on it. Eventually I plan on adding 2 True Percula Clowns and an anenome for them to, hopefully, attach to. Other than that I will probably continue to increase my cleaner crew.

Thanks for the comments so far.

As for the horseshoe crab, it was tank raised and is only the size of the fingernail on my little finger. I know it will need to be removed from the tank eventually, but they are supposed to be very, very slow growers. The different things I have read about them mostly state they are very good scavengers and are excellent at aerating sand beds while they are small.

I am always willing to learn and want to do what is best for my tank inhabitants, so if you have some good reasons for the horseshoe not to be in there while he is this tiny, I am all ears. ???

Michael

I set it up using 20lbs of LS, 13lbs of fully cured LR, and used Live Sea Water that came in 4.4g jugs at my LFS. With all of the benefcial bacteria already there, my tank basically cycled instantly. Frequent water testing shows that everything is perfectly fine.

I added the beginning members of my clean-up crew and am monitoring everything closely to make sure the nitrite levels don't go crazy. Everythins is stable at this point, but I am going to give it another week or two before adding anything else. I am really interested in seeing what I will get from the LR.

Michael

Edit: Forgot to add that I am also using Stability.

Archived