inTank Media Baskets

white slime on clowns

kappa

I bought a second clown, that got sick fast and died, and after that, my first clown died about about a week after the second clown. The symptoms are that the clown does not eat when food is present, develops white slime all over the side of it's body, and has depression on the sides of it's body. At the moment, I can not take a picture of the clown as I have no digital camera, but there will be one up later tonight.

I had the first clown for about 5 months, an dthe second clown for 3 days. Seems like I can not take a very good photo of the clown fish after about 30 tries.

i've had this problem about 2x with specifically true percula clownfish.

symptoms were similar to what you mentioned, but i've noticed with my true perculas i've seen them have the tail slime up and become "stiff" ... it almost seems like it's not as flexible and the fish oftentimes has trouble swimming. sooner or later it takes over the entire back half of the fish and it is soon too weak (from not eating) to swim accordingly, it soon dies a few hours or days after that. it took me 3 tries to find a healthy non-sliming true percula, maybe it just depends on where you buy them from...?

Yeah, trouble swimming, and also heavy breathing becomes a sypmtom as well. I took the clown back to the Tong's fish and Pets, and he is now in the hospital tank there. I don't know if he will make it or not, so I let the lfs have him. I bought two small wild caught perculas because the TR percula were 40 bucks for a pair, and their colors were not as dark as wild caught. I just hope these clowns will last.

That sucks, Guys...

my True Percs have never had probs., and they've been with me since the beginning. Probably to early.:)

ive never seen any as good/better looking than mine... maybe on this site.:)

hehe, geez just rub it in!

i'm in the market for a replacement true percula again... i must've spent $100 on clownfish already. hopefully i'll have luck with my next one :*(

• 2 weeks later...

If clowns looses the "slime coat", they will usually die. Clownfish are in many aspects different from other saltwater fish, because they have that special slime coat, which protects them from anemone stings and other diseases and infections.

Archived