Cultivated Reef

new pre-cured LR, need help with ID.

spyruleup

Hello,

I have new pre-cured LR (in my tank for 2 weeks now), and I was wondering if I could get some help...

1) this thin green surface color (was all over the rock) extremely thing and smooth, slowly disappearing from the rock?

2) Hard to see, but a few small round green gas-filled? balls that are attached to the rock, started extremely small, but are now the size of the ball on a pin, and growing fast?

3) looks like a new green leaf curled into itself, but is quite fuzzy, and is growing pretty fast too! any possible ideas?

4) 2 things here that I cannot photograph (no good zoom), these little white "tics" that roam around the glass .... eating? there was a crap load a day ago, but now they have almost completly disappeared. They have been replaced with what looks like green single branched mini leaf branches, they stick straight out off of the glass, and wave around the water... they seem to only exist where I have not cleaned the glass, like they are eating diatome dust (had diatomes on my sand before LR)....

Plus I think I got either a copopod/amphibod or some other type of transparent "mini" shrimp-like species, that hides in my LR, but every few days I see a "molted" skin floating around my tank...

until it finds the PH. any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Plus best recommended book for identifying/husbandry/good-or-bad book for algae/inverts/micro-species/coral ?

Thanks all in advance,

Spy

P.s. - A blownup version of the image can be seen here:

(caution it's big)

http://www.tinytwo.net/aqua/identify/bigupclose.jpg

1) hair algae-get snails

2)v something(don't know how to spell it)-they'll keep growing, you can just pull them out

3)hard to tell

4)i used to have those, don't think they're harmful

i didn't help a lot but i hope it gives you an idea

jenniebutterfly

1. thin layer does not sound much like hair algae, but could be the onset of it, so i think snails would be good

2. sounds like green bubble algae, emerald crabs eat this stuff.

3. coulb be a macro algae starting to grow, these are good benificial algae so leave it till it gets big enough for an id.

4. sounds like copopods. but the green branch things that appeared in their place i am unsure of.

5. sounds like amphipods. they are not harmful at all, and usually stay on the live rock or in the sand.'

Archived