Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New here..have a question to ask..

Alisha

I have to stress the fact that I know NOTHING about any of this stuff..Ive downloaded a ton of stuff to read and Im reading up before I start.

I saw a hexagon tank in Petsmart last week and wanted to buy it, its a 20gal...Here's the link if someone can just tell me if they think its worth buying:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shopping/prod...t%5F24389.shtml

Any rate, I wanted to have some coral and rock in there, but really attractive looking stuff..

Fish (as much as is allowable - could someone please tell me how much is the MOST I can have?) and some hermit crabs, I want it to be beautiful vivid, colors - Can anyone suggest some fish please? I have a list..looking to find out about more sw fish..

I also wanted to know if there is supposed to be a certain style of designing the setup for the rock/coral? The tanks for most of you guys are BEAUTIFUL.

Thanks for any help you can give.

welcome..to the addiction !

ignore my cynicizim and look fer the humor.. ya will understand me...LOL

The hexes are nice, BUT can leak after a year or 2. They are difficult to clean also.

SURFACE AREA is key in a reef tank.. there isnt much of that in a hex.

A collumn tank would be nice, have one made, or look fer a 37 gall collumn made by All Glass Aq Mfg. if ya like the tall look. (see my reef pics thread of the 37.) 18 X 20 x 25 H

Also I wouldnt reccomend petsmart fer tanks. They are usualy thinner glass and have seen them have issues with impurities etching the glass with hard water stains more than tanks made fer salt. OCEANIC and Perfecto and All Glass is what I trust in, but no tank is infallable. there are some great threads here.... just look back a few pages and hit the search function.... A LOT ! lol good luck !

Knowledge is Power...

i personally don't like hex's. too hard to stack stuff and not as much area for the corals to grow.

for 175. you could get a 20H from www.wetdryfilters.com w/ an internal overflow. save yourself some time and hassel get a drilled tank and add a sump

Lunchbucket

dont bother buying those "reef in a box," its always better to buy things by pieces bc youll get the best product while those packaged tanks will have one good item will the other stuff is junk you wont even use. you should go for a 20 gal tank, long or tall, your choice.

Don't go for the hex. As stated before, its hard to clean, its hard to aquascape for maximum coral placement/growth, its hard to get proper circulation, its hard to get enough dissolved oxygen due to the lack of surface space, its hard to get a good developed sanbed for that amount of liquid due to the small footprint of the tank, and you would need to get a lot more lighting than you would need with a 20H or a 20L. Get a 20l or 20H. I wouldn't keep more than 2-4 fish in a 20g depending on the types and size of the fish. Good luck;)

I started off with a hex and ended up hating it, i transfered everything into a 20tall rectangular and like it way more. I think you could get away with 3 small fish, some people say 2 inches per ten gallons and some say 4 per 10 gallon, it depends on lots of things...what do you have in mind? look into clownfish(no more than 2 'cuz they'll fight) gobies,cardinals.... maybe a flame hawk if it were to be your only fish

Archived