Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting for a 20 Long

Dazed1

Well, since my 10Gallon started leaking, i went and got a 20 Long. I had light's on order which should be here soon. The lighting that I was going to order for the 10gallon was a 65W PC. Would it be enough for now ? I don't have any coral's right now. Just a small stone with a yellow polyp.

Will it be ok? if not, any suggestion's ?

Hi Dazed1,

According to much of the reading material out there 3 watts per gallon is considered low light, and with your setup you be at 3.25 watts/gallons. The polyps might be okay in that, but research suggests that they will probably lose some color intensity.

AH Supply has a 2x55 watt PC kit that is often used on 20L tanks (I have this myself), but I don't have enough experience with this setup yet to tell you if it's ideal for coral growth (I think much of the polyps and mushrooms will be fine in this).

Good luck,

Jason

i like MH's but on a 2ft++ tank it would be hard to get it to look right. so i would prolly say VHO or PC's. i would maybe try to pack about 4x55w in there if you could....add as much as possible!!

Lunchbucket

uumm... I would love to add as much as possible, but unfortuenately my wallet doesn't understand that. Soo.. i'm kinda on a budget... 100$ would be a good figuire... :)

Ok,

i've pretty much decided on getting this . Good/Bad ? will get 2X55W, with one 10000k, and one Blue. Should be good ? Also, Will I need a cover on the tank ?

My tank being a 20 long and having a counter current skimmer with a collection cup, chance's are I will not be able to fit a 29" hood without raising it . *sigh* . Well, the skimmer/collection cup take up about 3" in the right corner of the tank. Would it be ok if I were to a 23" as compared to a 29" ?

Or would it be better to take the 29" and then raise it with wooden plank's ???

well, since I am in NJ now, i'm about 6 mile's from absolutely fish. I guess i'll drop by there today. Measure a tank, ask for help/advice, and if I get a light, i'll pick it up :D

Originally posted by Dazed1

Ok,

i've pretty much decided on getting this . Good/Bad ? will get 2X55W, with one 10000k, and one Blue. Should be good ?  

Also, Will I need a cover on the tank ?  

My tank being a 20 long and having a counter current skimmer with a collection cup, chance's are I will not be able to fit a 29" hood without raising it . *sigh* . Well, the skimmer/collection cup take up about 3" in the right corner of the tank. Would it be ok if I were to a 23" as compared to a 29" ?  

Or would it be better to take the 29" and then raise it with wooden plank's ???

Do not! And I mean absolutely do not use wooden planks to raise the light off of the tank unless they are well coated with a sealer of some kind. I did this an ended up poisioning my tank and killing off half my livestock (took me 2 months to get everything back in order).

Petsmart has an all glass cover that fits a 20L tanks for $17. I bought one and it works great (not sure how much the glass is filtering the light though). This is probably the cheapest option that I have found. However, if you have tools to cut plexiglass you could also just make a custom cover from materials bought at Home Depot.

The lighting looks like a good deal to me (the AH Supply lights don't have the nice hood - only nice reflectors =).

Just my 2 cents,

Jason

Yeah, I WILL be using a glass like plain hood. Only problem I have is that i'm using a counter current protien skimmer that goes inside the tank. So the collection cup take's up about 3 inch's on the right corner. I need to either get a light that's smaller than 29" or have to get a canopy build. Since I just upgraded from the 10, i'm a little broke :*(

i would NOT EVER EVER EVER use a glass top on a tank!!!! it filters too much light, gets dirty way too fast, salt creep, and it traps heat in and won't let O2 exchange occur as redily. save yourself some $$ and forget the top on it. those lights have plexi over the bottom don't they? hell most lights are made to go inside a canopy w/OUT a top on them.

Lunchbucket

Originally posted by Lunchbucket

i would NOT EVER EVER EVER use a glass top on a tank!!!!  it filters too much light, gets dirty way too fast, salt creep, and it traps heat in and won't let O2 exchange occur as redily.  save yourself some $$ and forget the top on it.  those lights have plexi over the bottom don't they?  hell most lights are made to go inside a canopy w/OUT a top on them.

Lunchbucket

Well, i'm HOPING that the light has a plexi protecting it from water. Just as a rough idea of what i'm trying to say about my protien skimmer, and y i would "want" a cover without being able to buy a canopy. rough sketch :

The Green part is the skimmer. The tank is red. Now the green part raises about 3 inch's OVER the top level of the tank as the collection cup. Now, i have two choices, either get a canopy made, which will raise the light's about 5 inch's from the top and I can have a full 29" fixture. OR, get a top where I can cut the right corner so the collection cup can be "next" to the fixture and then i'll have to use a 23" fixture. i'm confused now ???

PS, yeah, its a pathetic paint job :D

If you get the light fixture from Petsupplyliquidator it will have a plexiglass cover. I made the hood for my 20H out of 1/2" oak plywood stained and sealed with several coats ofpolyurethane inside and out. The fixture sets on two pieces of 1"x 2" glued into the sides of the hood with about 3/4" to spare. The hood is about 8" high so the lights are about 4" above the waters surface. then on topthere is just enough room above the fixture for an eggcrate top recessed so it is level with the top edge. It ends up very professional looking.

ok, i went to absolutely fish, and they had a light fixture, well, i don't reallly remember the name, but it was soimething like "franosa" or framosa ??? . It was 270$ !! but it was just perfect ;) . ANy one know of the name or where I could get it cheaper ? it's a 30" fixture with 2x65.

Build you a hood or have someone do it for you. It's easy. I am still trying to post pics here. Even though the pic is 83.5KB their ding a ling system tells me it is too big ??? I have several good pics of my hood and light Ican share.

Archived