inTank Media Baskets

what is this crab that came w/my LR

dantwenty2

ok, well i posted this before, but now i got him out and i have these pics. please tell me if this thing is okay for my tank or toss him.....

It's hard to make out but generally all hitchhiker crabs are trouble, I know I know there are always exceptions but with so many "evil" crabs there are that come in I'd rather be safe then sorry. =/. Although from what I can see it isn't hairy and it's really the hairy crabs that are bad but there are hairless crabs that are bad too. It basically comes down to luck.

i have a hairy crab in my tank that has never really done anything until last night i was looking around with a flashlight and saw the little bugger with a hermit crab so i tried to scare it with the light and it took the crab into its hole in the rock. i am now one hermit short of when i started. moral of the story is to get rid of it because mine didn't do anything for about 8-9 monthes. your crab is trouble.

yeah i just took him to my LFS and i asked to speak with the owner, you know how the sales people are, and he said that the crab is trouble. still no one could ID him though. thanx

A better pic would help, if possible.

Dr. Ron's forum on ReefCentral could get it ID'ed, but you would deffinately need better pics.

What color is he? Is his shell smooth or bumpy? Hairy or bald?

only one large pincher? A-cimetrical pinchers? If it is Green it is an emerald but by the pic I would say it isnt. Pinchers are to big and fat looking.

he is, or was, brown with gray spots on him. his shell was smooth and bald. two pinchers that were exectly the same. legs were very small and body was really wide.

If its pichers look like they come to points ditch it ( I would any ways if I were you) If they are flattened and nub like on the ends its an lagae eater more than likely I would ditch it since it isnt an emerald though. Just my personal opinion.

its a gorilla crab. very bad like a mantis shrimp instead it will eat big fish. like for example one that was about three inches ate my 6 inch hippo tang. ditch it

Archived