inTank Media Baskets

Salinity poll

chufa

Saw this poll recently at reef central. Will be interesting to me to compare their results to ours here at the nano community, and see if there are any differences.

What specific gravity do you keep?

1.019 to 1.029 depending on how lazy my refilling arm is.....

I try to shoot fer 1.024. its the most stable and seems to keep the corals happy. THOUGH it is harder fer fish to osmoregulate, they will just need a faster metabolic rate and higher disolved O2 levels to maintain proper body hydration. salinity fluctuation is a normal part of some inter tidal zones and I dont generaly care if the tanks flutuate slightly. Ive had them go from 1.019 to 1.030 in a span of a week and brought them back down in 3 days to 1.021 wiht no ill observable effects. I wouldnt reccomend this with deep reef or stony corals. if yer really worried about salnity, get a probe. IMO all REEF tanks should be at 1.021-26. some corals will respond and grow faster at a hyposalinity, others need the strong brine. it will come with years of experience ya can differientiate growth metabolic rates. Just keep it at 1.024 fer simplicity sake...... its easiest.B)

good points, i've always been a lazy @ss too letting my tanks go hypersalinity actually. i think it's because i tend to setup lagoon-type settings, thinking to duplicate the evaporation rate and low makeup in nature. (by design of course! :P )

but i'm going to try hyposalinity in one tank now to check that out. (estuary zone) i've always been a hyper guy :D (a leftover from FO days i guess).

Mine is at 1.024. I do weekly water changes and mix up the new water at 1.024 also. Curiously, I never have to add top off water. I have set up a mark to keep track of water level, and it never drops visibly enough during the one week period. I guess the snug lid keeps the water from leaving, and it "rains" back into the tank. I thought with the added heat from PC lighting evaporation will increase, but it hasn't.

OK, so there is a significant difference between folks here and at RC!

Average here: 1.024. Only one voter so far keeps SG at 1.026

Average at RC's poll 1.025. About a third or so of the voters keep SG at 1.026. Only a couple keep it at 1.024.

I am curious as to why?

Cause we have little tanks we dont let them evaporate as much?

yes, that makes sense. A nano has much more %water loss by evaporation, hence is safer to keep a lower SG.

RC population 12,000 idiots

NR population just under 2,000 with only a fraction of the idiots;)

big tanks evaporate faster and the salinity at 34 ppt is not uncommon. Yer nano will fluctuate up to that when the tank temp changes and top offs are not done.

"a big whoopie" diff of .01 :P

I was going to post this observation about the significant difference betewwn NR and RC at RC, but judging how their mods (and some non-mods) react to other sites makes me reluctant to do do.

Archived