Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Disaster

Dazed1

Well, not totally, but just a little.

My 10 Gallon tank started leaking last evening from one of the seal's. Luickily I took off last evening and was at home.

SO, since my tank had just settled and I have a sebae clown, I did not want to re-seal the tank.

The not so bad part, i got myself a 20long instead :D . Now, what "other" thing's do I need ?

This is what I plan on getting beside's what I already have:

Penguin 660R power head,

Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater (150 watt) ,

20lbs more of Live Sand, and about 15lbs more of Live Rock.

Will have to get better lighting. I was just expecting my 32W dual lighting today. Guess i'll have to cancel that or just add one more next to it.

Now i'll have to get a good hood as well. Probably made by glazer :D .

On a sader note for me, but kinda happy, i'll be giving the sebae clown back. I introduced it to the tank just this past saturday :( . It is just about getting used to me and not being scared any more. Oh well, the LFS will either keep it aside for me, or i'll pic up a pair of perc's sometime.

Am I missing anything ?

Looks like you're set. The 20-long will allow you to use 55 watt PC bulbs with room to spare. One thing to consider is that long tanks require more circulation sources compared to the same volume in a more "square" format. I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with one power head as the only circulation, but then I've always preferred multiple smaller pumps. You may be able to design your aquascaping in such a way that a single pump keeps all the water moving.

Originally posted by MrConclusion

Looks like you're set.  The 20-long will allow you to use 55 watt PC bulbs with room to spare.  One thing to consider is that long tanks require more circulation sources compared to the same volume in a more "square" format.  I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with one power head as the only circulation, but then I've always preferred multiple smaller pumps.  You may be able to design your aquascaping in such a way that a single pump keeps all the water moving.

I already have a rio 200 pump and I will be ADDING the other ;). That way when I need to "stir" the salt in a bucket, i can pull out the 200. :)

Buy another power head. Never use a powerhead or heater from a running tank to mix saltwater. If you toss a powerhead or whatnot in a bucket of RO water or even freshly mixed saltwater chances are your going to kill some bacteria, coralline algae, and any other critter growing on the powerhead. Guess what, You just effectivly added ammonia to your new water. Not much point in doing water changes if your gonna be sloppy about it.

Originally posted by Fant

Buy another power head. Never use a powerhead or heater from a running tank to mix saltwater. If you toss a powerhead or whatnot in a bucket of RO water or even freshly mixed saltwater chances are your going to kill some bacteria, coralline algae, and any other critter growing on the powerhead. Guess what, You just effectivly added ammonia to your new water. Not much point in doing water changes if your gonna be sloppy about it.

ok thank's for the tip. I will use another powerhead for mixing the salt. :)

Archived