ReefCleaners.org

Moon or Flowerpot

lauromon

I baught this coral yesterday, tagged "moon", thinking it would be compatible in my 56 Watt, 10 gallon Nano-cube. Upon further investigation, I realized I might have a Flowerpot or Cauliflower Gonipiora which apparently don't have a great survival rate (especially in my tank!). But in my copy of "Marin Reef Aquarium Handbook", by Dr. J. Goldstein, I found an image titled "moon", which does resemble the coral as in the Favia family.

Agh, what it is to be such a novice! Please let me know what you think so that I can hopefully go back and switch this guy for a star polyp which I know would be fine in my nano. Thanks!

Attached is the picture of the coral in question:

well, I really think that it is a gonipiora but am confused about the picture that I found in the book. It looks happy right now, but since I don't have halide, I don't know if I have enough light for it to make it. As mentioned above, I have 2x28 watt 50/50 (is that what is stock in the nano-cube?)

Goniopora = FLOWER POT!!!! They are one in the same. called two things.

Alvela pora is the more hardy species in this family ( which youdo not have) They are recommended for experts only and are SUPER HARD to care for. I hate to be the one to bring this up but it wont live for more than two years in a home aquarium with a team of marine biologist helping you. WE dont know what they eat or what they like. They are prety much a mystery as for its food needs and its over all care in the hobby. You will find plenty of edjucated guess'es and theory's but no specifics.

I realize that Flowerpot and Cauliflower coral are goniopora. I guess the question was more about the confusion of the second "moon" picture that was in my book. I should try to contact the publisher mabe.

Well, I guess have a challenge set for myself now! I think I'll stick to mushrooms, star polys and zoos.

Thanks for you help everyone.

chrisisthereefer

its a goniopora, i think youd just be better off taking it back and telling them it was mis marked and you cant take car eof it properly, and get your money back,another coral, or store credit. you seem to be a newer reefer also, so i don tthink itll live (no pun intended).

-Chris

Well, nothing too exciting. A bunch of mushroom coral. But they are really spikey. Figured they would do well in my little low-light tank. I look forwards to finding some zoos though!

I am glad that the LFS so willingly took back the flowerpot!:happy:

Archived