SaltCritters.com

Seamus' Via Aqua 18

Seamus

Here's a a nice series of pictures showing the evolution of my Via Aqua 18 reef.

Growth from 2/04 to the present. This has really been a fun project and I'm still amazed at how much there is to learn in this hobby. Thanks to everyone here at nano-reef.com for tons of information and entertainment.

6709tankgrowth-med.jpg

Awesome tank Seamus. Can you give some more detail on hardware & livestock? The growth of your GSP and other polyps is amazing if you just set it up 2/04 - or maybe they were spread that much when you put them in? Either way, I love the way everything comes together.

Here's some more detail on the tank and inhabitants:

18g Via Aqua, 150W HQI MH pendant, Millenium HOB filter. I used to run a Sea Clone skimmer but gave up on that. Skimmerless for now. Circulation via 3 powerheads (mostly hidden behind the rock work). 50 W Titanium heater.

Current Inhabitants:

Fish: Oscellaris Clown, Six Line Wrasse

Corals: Green/Blue Acropora sp. ; Various Ricordea Florida, Xenia, Branching Hammer, Green Star Polyps, Montipora Capricornis, Brown Paythoa Polyps, Orange Zooanthids, Brown with Green Skirts Zooanthids, Green Metallic Fuzzy Mushrooms, A few random mushrooms.

Inverts/Others: RBTA, T. Maxima Clam, Purple Gorgonian, Brittle Starfish, Snails, blue hermits and red hermits.

Maintainence includes weekly 10-15% percent water changes, daily additions of Ca/Alk buffers, Carbon Filtration, occasional use of Phosphate absorber, rare additions of iodine. The hardest thing so far has been regulating Ca/Alk without having an auto-top off.

That's about it - check out more pics in my gallery including a larger image of the growth sequence pic here.

Thanks for compliments ! The ricordea near the RBTA are taking a beating. In that pic the RBTA is pretty compact but when it really wants to stretch out - get out of the way... The rics are receding and are definately too close. I need to move the rock with the xenia and rics but its large and there really is not much room to rearrange. Thinking of moving the ricordea/xenia rock to the 75 gal tank :) On a better note - the RBTA has not moved at all in several months.

Archived