ReefCleaners.org

Questions on frags

i have crabs

i have crabs

According to Anthony Calfo, you are supposed to QT all corals. But when people trade frags with eachother, how many of you actually do this? Just curious because I havnt set up a proper QT for corals yet and I just got my new lights on the main tank. Im excited to get corals but dont want to buy peoples frags if they will introduce bad stuff into my tank. Thanks!

Smokin-Reefer

You don't have to QT the corals for a month, a week will be fine. What your are looking for are flatworms, nudi's, brown jelly, RTN and the like. Calfo also states that low to no lighting should not be a problem, unless the coral is unhealthy in the first place.

Most people don't QT corals though, its a good idea....but probably nothing to loose sleep over....fish though.....you should QT fish...maybe I'll do that one of these days lol.

Daniel

i have crabs

Thanks Daniel.

Curious though, do you have a link to where Anthony says this? I am currently reading his book on coral propagation and it says a month in there.

The 5.5 gallon I use to QT fish in has a 8 watt flourescent in it. I

have a 18 watt freswater (6700k) PC light that I use over my fuge I could also put over the QT. Would these lights be sufficent to QT coral in for a week? Thanks!

Cliff

Smokin-Reefer

I don't have an exact link, Though I know I've read it in the "all things salty with anthony calfo" forum on RC. You can ask him a question directly, I don't want to be giving you wrong information, though I'm pretty sure he's told people 7 days, but otoh, he's probably told people 30 days. In any event, you're really just looking for hitchhikers on the rock if the coral is in apperant good health.

Good luck cliff.

Archived