inTank Media Baskets

ed's 18 gal nano

furia

I finally started the nano-reef. I purchased 27 lbs of live rock from Premium Aquatics for my 18 gallon tank. I live about an hour away from the PR warehouse so I was able to go there and pick some nano sized rock. I got almost all Marshal Island bits. The rock is very nice and appears to be fully cured. The folks at PR were great.

I started round one of aqua-scaping on the evening of December 28th. I placed a few of the larger pieces on the bottom of the tank. When the structure was about half done I added 20 lbs of live sand (Arag-alive West Caribbean Reef). I purchased two 20 lb bags. After putting in the first bag I decided I did not need the extra 20 lbs. I then piled up the rest of the rock. I thought I would reevaluate the structure when the water cleared.

ed...

I could not believe how clear the water was the next morning! For those of you who witnessed me whining about my cloudy new tank syndrome... All it took was a day of cured live rock!

ed...

Friday I decided to re-aquascape. I was disappointed with my low rubble pile. The Via Aqua's are very cool tanks but, I think, the aqua scape needs some height to bring out the best of the tank. I started using epoxy/putty to aid in building up the reef. I wasn't having very good luck with the putty so I just kept rearranging until I got a reasonably stable free standing structure. I think it came out ok. There are a couple of caves and some nice (small) arches. I appear to have good water flow. Here is a before and after pic.

I also decided to go with a black background and to center the Remora. I like the functionality of the Remora's skimmer box. I am not to happy with the stock mounting. It is very unstable. As a solution I took one of the clips that come with MaxiJets (the ones that allow you to hang the maxijet from the rim of the tank). I took this clip hung it inside the tank with the suction cup reversed (facing the inside of the tank). I then just stuck the suction cup to the skimmer box. The box is now very stable.

I am going to start with timed lighting. Considering the quality of the rock, is two hours a day enough?

When should I expect an NH3 spike? It has been 4 days and nothing yet!

ed...

Via Aqua 18 gal

Stock lighting 72 watts (1 x 36 watt 12K white,) (1 x 36 watt 7k actinic)

27 lbs Marshal Island LR

20 lbs live sand

Ebo Jager 100w heater

AquaC Remora (MaxiJet) with skimmer box

2 x MaxiJet 600

Natural wave wavemaker

i like the new scaping! That rock is lookin great as well!

i ordered 12 lbs of nano lr from Pr (8lbs marshall, 4lbs fiji) but now im not sure if that will be enough for a standard 10g :(

I cant believe u havent recieved any minicycle yet. The curing process of premium aquatics must be exceptional! As far as lighting goes, i put my lights on for 7 hours but thats because i have 2 damsels in my tank already...

Yeah, I would like a little more height also. I just can't seem to swing it with the current rock. If I had another shot, I would have bought two larger pieces. There are a number of arches. They are small but there. Here is a shot that shows some of the arches.

ed...

nice set up so far!@!

my dielemma with my LR was that it was suposudly 12 lbs at the LFS, and if u check out my tank it looks like ~10?? comparing others peoples "12" lbs looks like 5 to mine, which is strange, so i ordered 15 more from jeff's, so now i have ~27 lbs of LR, the 15 is still curing. i am unsure whether i should upgrade to a 20 gallon high or a 15 gallon high, if i do a 20 gallon high im afraid ill need to buy more lr once again and another powerhead or two,

sorry to get off topic but, once agin, i like your beging, it looks very very clear, and those curves are starting to grow on me, im starting to like those more than the standard block edges

Really nice, I like the fact that it isn't an actual Nano Cube but still is the Nano Cube size. Looks great!

By the way, I also live near the Premium Aquatics warehouse. I haven't gotten the chance to go there myself yet, but I have heard many reccommend it. I now plan on purchasing my LR there from looking at both the pics and prices.

Check your PM box.

I think you should make 2 piles so its more of a vally. That way you would have more hight with the same amount of rock b/c your taking all the rock from the middle and moving it to the sides.

just my 2 cents.

Archived