Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Creature under rock

darwin61

OK...Today I brought home a couple of cerith snails. One burrowed under the substrate but one just layed on the substrate next to the base of the LR. After the lights had been out awhile I went with a flashlight to see what was going on. The cerith snail was cover by a thin, translucent, mottled ( grayish and whitish ), fleshy, sheet like creature eminating from under the rock. It had almost completely covered the cerith snail. The base of this "creature" was under the rock. It seemed to be quite large, enough to reach out from under the rock and cover the snail. The opening of the snail appears to be covered by a "cottony" substance now that may or may not have been there when I brought it home. I bought two and admittedly didnt look at them that well. Just dumped them in the tank. The tank has been doing well for almost a year now and I have never seen this creature before. Any thoughts on what it may be? Do you think it is safe to sleep in the same room until we find out?

darwin

No guesses on what this may be? There is definitely something living under the rock. I cannot think of anything it could be. I would describe it as kind of "octopus like" only with a thin sheet instead of an arm. It bothers me being under there and not knowing what it is. I am considering setting something in the same spot tonight to see if it comes back out.....Take a guess folks.

darwin

jenniebutterfly

try moving your live rock if there is nothing on it that may fall off. make sure to wear some aqua gloves if you have them though just in case. i don't have a clue as to what it could be though. next time try to get pics of it if you can

Hmm well my best guess would be lack of acclimation causing death followed by the decomposition of the snail(s). But hey dont hold me to that.

Get a chunk of some meaty food (shrimp or something), put next to rock, turn out lights and get us a picture of the monster :).

It's more than likely a scavenger cleaning up a snail that was sickly and/or didn't survive the trip home.

Archived