SaltCritters.com

green anemone?

shanebeall

bought a piece of rock with some xenia on it, it's doing wonderful. didn't notice it before, but this morning i rotated the rock so the xenia would look better from an outside angle, and this green tentacled thing was in there. i have a picture of a long-tentacled anemone (Cnidopus verator) that is green, but this book was written in 1982. Looking on google, there are several pictures that look similar to what's in my tank...but the one in my tank is tiny. this one is about the size of a dime. In the morning I was feeding my fish some freeze dried krill, and took a pair of tweezers and touched the anemone with a piece of krill, and it closed around it and held the krill in place. i went to work, so I'm not sure if it consumed it or just let it go when it opened up.

here are the pictures: (it's the green/brown thing right below the xenia in the front)

identify02.jpg

identify01.jpg

Can anyone confirm that this is Cnidopus verator, or tell me what it is?

Not a LTA. I have a few of these walking around. I haven't seen them eat or kill anything and they don't get bigger then mabye quarters or loonies.

I'll post a better picture when I get home from work. It's hard to tell in those pictures, but it's got crazy tentacles. Maybe tentacles of doom, but I can't tell, I don't know what it is.

manajo2.jpg

manajo1.jpg

Sorry. These pictures may look identical, but aren't. I'm trying to take a picture that really shows off the fact that it has tentacles, but my digital camera sucks. I'll have another one on Wednesday that'll take better detailed pictures.

People here seem to think everything is AIPTASIA... well it isnt!!

That is 100% for sure a Majano pest anemone....take the rock its on out of the tank and put it into a small bowl with some of your tank water...take a syringe with needle if you can get that... i am lucky i can get it from where i work...no idea where you can get a syringe with needle elsewhere, but ask and you shall be able to find.....use lime juice and inject it in the base....place rock back in tank.... if he doesnt die, repeat...evetually that piece of crap will die...

G

jenniebutterfly

you can usually get needles from your local eckerds or cvs without a prescription if it is under a certain amount. i guess i am lucky that my sis in law is a paramedic. i have heard of using the lime and lemon juice work well :)

Gmoney: THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!! I bet your arse couldnt tell either until he reposted with a clearer pic.

Ebin: Use a syringe and inject LEMON juice straight into it body or through its cap and mouth area. I promise It will kill it.

WORKS ON MAJANO'S TOO.

you must tear it with violence with one clamp from barbecue. it is grabbed hold of with force to the cliff , do not worry of the lacerations, is not reproduced like the aiptasie

ahhh YES IT WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use joes juice or lemon juice.

Why in GODS name would you want to farm majano anemones?

( dose anyone know a set way to remove it intact to another tank?)

jenniebutterfly

haha i know a way, but i do not know why anyone would want to keep them. take out the whole rock it is on. but i would just inject it and kill the little sucker before it turns into two :)

thanks everyone. the anenome changed locations...then split in two. i injected both, and haven't seen any more activity from them. they actually damaged the string of "flesh" connecting my two stalks of xenia to each other. if anyone has these in your tank, destroy them. they are nasty.

Archived