Cultivated Reef

recommend me a R/O machine

DogfacePuffer

DogfacePuffer

Hello, I am thinking of getting one of those R/O filter machines. What is a good brand/model to start with. Any advice on usage

appreciated, pros and cons, hook ups, replacing cartridges/membranes etc...

publix...glacier water machines.

the water goes thru--

carbon filtration, micron filter, UV, RO, carbon and UV (again)... 25 cents a gallon 'round here!

btw they say:

"Sodium Free Water is not recommended for fish tanks. Normally fish require water with higher mineral content than what is found in Glacier Water. " ...doesn't matter at all unless yer keepin freshwater african cichilds i suppose :)

www.glacierwater.com

Mark, do you know anything about "Hi-S" RO units?

I have high silicate water. I've better results with distilled water compared to regular RO water, but have never tried RO/DI or HI-S RO/DI.

DogfacePuffer

Thanks. I will check out the site. I am tired of transporting water from the LFS with a toddler in tow...

Hell hauling that 5 gal from driveway to garage.

If you are looking for RO only and not DI look at the Premier Manufactured Systems units at Costco. $150 for a good solid unit with the tank and spigot for home use also. A years worth of replacement filters is like $30 if you replace them every 6 mo. as recommended. Probably the best unit of all is the Spectrapure but there is quite a price difference and I could't see any difference in the finished water quality. Either way make sure you change the filters on schedule or you can shorten the life of the membrane.

Archived