ReefCleaners.org

new to SW ??'s

jackdp

I have recently set up a 20L tank that I had kept for FW for years and have a few newbie ?'s. Right now the set up is an external hang on filter and an undergravel filter with crushed coral. How would this be for keeping a few corals. The book I bought b4 setup never mentioned a thing about live rock. If I had live rock, will I be able to scrap the undergravel and just leave the powerhead. 2nd question...right now I just have 2 damsels swimming around and I am using the stock perfecto lighting hood that came with the tank. What would be the recommendation for lighting. The hood has a single 24" 50/50 tube in it right now. Is this enough, should I look for a new hood or is their a way to fit this one for what I need.....so many questions so little time...I will leave it at that for now.......I love the site, its great to see people that don't scoff at the idea of have a SW tank smaller than 55 gallons......thx for any help in advance.....

Scrap the undergravel filter and you will be better off in the long run. get about 20lbs. of some good live rock and get a heater going in the tank if you don't already have one. You might want to take out the damsels before you put in the live rock. I had to tear up my tank to get a yellow-tail out. They are very disruptive and like to mess with everything, including hermits and corals.

everyone is saying to get rid of the damsels, are they really that bad. I also think I should get rid of the book along with the damsels....it recommended the UG filter and the damsels and never mentioned Live rock or sand....bah :x

I use a skilter 250 on my 11 gallon and it works fine. Change out a gallon a week at least. You can probably get by with that light until you can upgrade. I run 36 watts on my eleven gallon 26 watts on my 5 gallon that have combo bulbs with the blue actinics and they work o.k. for green star polyps and mushrooms.The damsels are a pain but to each his own.

so many questions so little time

Welcome to the hobby! Here's what I would do if I were you - read every article at the URL below:

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/index.html

After you've finished, spend another good month reading through this forum and reefcentral.com. Search the forums for things like "live rock", "cycle", "test kit", "lighting", "PCs", "MH", "ballast", "cleanup crew", etc. Remember - knowledge is power.

Have fun along the way!

Ross

printerdown01

I second Ross' advice about reading the articles! People chant, read read read around here, we we seldomly offer advice on WHAT to read... -Thanks Ross for doing that! What book are you reading -that is one OLD fish book if it recommends using an UG filter in a reef tank! -I bet it calls them "invert tanks" ??? too, am I right?? And if it recommends UGs in a reef it is probably published before 1987.... ;) hehe... I still have a few of those laying around :-D I get kicks out of the "color pics" lol. On a more serious note: here are some other reading grounds: members web-sites, CORALS: by Julian Sprung: A Quick Reference Guide, Live Sand Secrets Pamplet (found this at premium aquatics -I haven't read it and thus cannot give a review, but it appears to cover the basics), as well as GARF . Word of caution, I have heard terrible things about their "grunge..." but they do offer some decent advice and how to tips for beginners. :happy: hope this helps...

Archived