Innovative Marine Aquariums

Which test kit?

nanoid

I am a newbie and am about to start a 12 gallon nanno.

I have heard all the hoopla about how the tough guys and longtime reefers don't need no stinking test kits!

But i need to test and besides, i am looking forward to playing mad scientist. Any way, there are so many reviews. I am looking for a cost efective but accurate test kit. I have been hearing that the liquid tyoe tests are bettter.

Any rcomendations?

Which test kits are needed?

Which ones can i do without untill i get corals in the tank?

you will need to test for ammonia and nitrites while you cycle the tank. Even if Sean and Tony tell you that their live rock won't need cycling, you will still need to do it so get those tests for the cycling period. Might want to get a pH test and a Calcium test if you plan on keeping calcium using critters.

Don't know who would claim they don't need to test the water. I don't do it but I should. Just too damned lazy.

any brand names?

The salt water master test kit by Aq. Pharmasuticals looks good it has the ph, nitrite, nitrate, and amonia. What do ya thing of this one?

Any recos for the calcium?

Crak you are all over this site man! Lucky for me!

Originally posted by nanoid

I have heard all the hoopla about how the tough guys and longtime reefers don't need no stinking test kits!

Unless thier name is Jesus they should be testing regularly. Time and experience do not = perfect water quality. Last time I checked, I couldn't SEE nitrates, or S.G. or Ca, or ALK.

TEST REGULARLY= very happy inhabitants

JMTC

spectre's right, even Aquaman would need test kits! he friggin breathes the stuff! :x "Nitrate level too high! Need mouth-to-mouth from Wonder Woman!"

those reefers that don't test are stupid morons! X) or lazy bastages! :P

but i guarantee everyone has pH, ammonia, and nitrate test kits. who doesn't own a hydrometer or refractometer? then again wasn't there someone who was tasting their water? : dip test?

Archived