Top Shelf Aquatics

Pros/Cons for 6,700K and 10K

m3 Ryan

Hey guys-

I just got all my lighting stuff from hellolights.com and I was wondering...

they told me to get 6700k and an O3, and I did. I just put them over my tank to see the color and they look awesome. HUGE improvement over my origional 27W 10k/BLUE light.

I now have 56 watts for my 7gal.

I heard the 10K is more white than the daylight 6700k that I got, but it looks great none the less.

Anyhow... please just post your expierences and opinions of the two different lights.

I have an open brain, 25+ mushrooms, bubble annonome, frogspawn, a cup coral, and a sponge. I also just got an SPS yesterday that I plan to frag off and sell to the store once it grows more.

thanks guys, and sorry if this has been braught up before, but a search shows very few decent results...

my experience with 6,700k...it looked nice at first, but bulbs seem to take a week or 2 to "break in", and it started looking too yellow. 10,000k is nice.

Anyways, I heard that 10,000k is really closest to the spectrum of lighting underwater in the reefs. I have no idea if that's true or not, maybe someone else can verify.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

6400-6700k are better for shallow-water corals and inverts (SPS, Clams, Anemones)

10000k are better for LPS and Softies

I have to agree with Mnesarchus on the fine technical point, but I think that Mark is correct overall. I happen to personally prefer the "whiter" look of 6700K mixed 50/50 with actinic... but I have the "bluer" 50/50 actinic/10K running in my 10 gallon nano, so what do I know?

depending onthe manufacture.... 10 K is only the appearacne as REPLICATED to our eye. the corals really want 6500-6700 CRI of close to 98 % you can get that out of any bulb as long as spectral analysis on it shows CRI as near 100 % some 10 K are only 70 CRI and are useless yet are 10 K. It takes a LOT of reading to know which ones are best, and it can confuse the hell out of ya.

I stick with 65 K 250 W iwasakis MH. they have a CRI of 97.

*CRI : Color Rendering Index

Archived