Pod Your Reef

Wetmorella albofasciata

nanobrad

Thanks Brianc...I have one and it is the COOLEST liittle fish I have ever seen. I do believe Marine Center has some this month...I will be getting more.

No problems what so ever. I am not sure what particular inhabitants you are talking about. They do like amphipods but that is no concern of mine because I grow my own amphipods and copepods from starter cultures.

Saying: "I am sceptical to add any wrasses to a reef " is a very general statement to make. There are many differnet types of wrasses. Please go to the Marine Center web site. There are two categories of wrasses: "Reef Safe Wrasses" and just "Wrasses".

Also you may want to read :

Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and their relatives

A Comprehensive Guide to Selected Labroids

2002. Rudie H. Kuiter

This has a list of over 100 species many of which are reef safe including my little guy

I know that there are "reef safe" wrasses but, ime, I have seen those reef safe wrasses (and other reef safe fish) do not so safe things. That is why I am cautious about adding them to a reef. Opnions change over time and, as knowledge of fish and other creatures expands, we learn that what we once thought to be true may not be correct. There are also fish that are deemed not reef safe that have been kept in reefs without issue. I was just stating that I wouldn't want to take that risk. If it works for you, great. The fish is a beauty and if it ain't causing problems, god bless.

Wasn't looking for flames, attacks or anything, just stating my own outlook.

"I have seen those reef safe wrasses (and other reef safe fish) do not so safe things. "

Seen????? What doesa this mean? But have you care and owned before makeing such statements.

a nice fish, BUT as Crakeur warned... SOMEtimes a fish will be ouside of its norm. These are a more rade wrasse. Ive seen 3 offered in all my years of transshipping and are rare and uncommon at best. 120.oo is not a bad price. Marine Centre has some awesome rarities as they only deal in them mostly.

if ya like that wrasse, ya better be damn sure of a stess free EXACT replica of its habitat.... stress it out.. POOF !

here IS THE INFO THEY didnt TELL YOU.... SO IM GOING TO SKOOL YA

they change color paterns to a drab brown at mature adult stage.. Very secretive.. caves and dark underhangs. range Ryuk to GBR, New Zealand, Hawaii to SoCal. Planktonic and micro crustn...(pod) eater.

gets to 6 cm male 8 cm female also similar to

Sp; Wel.. Nigropinnata

HTH..

RECESS !

Thanks Dave...but all that info you think they didn't tell me is in the above reference book. Thanks anyway.

"BUT as Crakeur warned... SOMEtimes a fish will be ouside of its norm"

Hell, every fish can be outside of its norm.

Again THIS IS A REEF SAFE WRASSE!!!! Please go to reefs.org, and see the response I got from J. Charles Delbeek about this fish. Ever heard of him boys? He has one.

Originally posted by nanobrad

Thanks Dave...but all that info you think they didn't tell me is in the above reference book. Thanks anyway.  

Charles Delbeek about this fish. Ever heard of him boys? He has one.

WHO? nope never heard of him.... does he write books on reefing? Is a Dr. or something right? Is he in Germany I chatted with a dude named Charles Delbeek a few times...... I think he was a fireman.

??? :rolleyes:

Dork. ( J/K)

Just cause HE has one doesnt mean its ok to have one yerself. I have a 5 foot Blue Ribbon Eel in a customers tank fer 3 years. It has never done anything wrong or eaten a single shrimp.... You should get one too. X)

Sorry, I didnt see that listing on the book ( whizzed right past it):D

POINT OF INTEREST: There is a decent issue on Fairy wrasses in this months Marine Fish and reef aquarium Magazine. Check it out.

Archived