Innovative Marine Aquariums

My 21 gallon nano reef! Check it out!

reiple

Nice set up you got there. I was wondering how much livestock was in the Philipines, since you're so close to the source of the corals.

I was in the Philipines visiting family earlier this year, and I wanted to check out some stores and tanks, but I never had the chance to, and I really didn't see any Fish stores around.

BEN

Thanks Chris!

Thanks also for the nice comments. The Five Clams I have are aged as follows;

Tridacna Blue (largest) @ 6" is around 3 months old.

tridacna Blue and Green (smallest) @ 2" both 3.5 months old.

Tridacna Green @ 3" is 4 months old.

Tridacna Squamosa is oldest. Around 5 months old.

Age is tank-age. My tank is only 6 months old.

Thanks from your "kuya"....hehehehe (kuya means OLDER BROTHER)

Livestock here is cheap...and in very poor state when you buy them. I mean you can buy as much as 12 percula clowns in a fish store and only 4 will survive. I manage (and crusade!) to save them when I purchase them. Not all stores are bad. Most are however.

To find real marine livestock (the classy fish store BioResearch alas is the poorest source of marine livestock. Even their live rock sucks!) go to Cartimar Market. It's in Pasay City and any cabbie can bring you there.

However be ready. Here's a sample list (P means Philippine Peso, US means United States Dollars);

Elegance Corals - from P20 to P60. US 36cents to 1.15 dollars

Brain Corals/Polyps/Gonoporia/Fungi Disc/etc - P40 to P75. US 77cents to 1.50 dollars

Blue Clams small - P50 medium P100 large P150 US 1 dollar 1.90 and 2.90 dollars

Gold Clams (very rare when it comes along) - small P250 medium P400 and large P 550. US 4.80 dollars/7.70 and 10.60 dollars

Colt/Leather/Xenia/Sponges from P75 to 200. US 1.50 dollars to 3.85

Fishes? Clownfish small (less than an inch) from P5 to P10 (10 to 20 CENTS)

Pygmy Coral Beauty P65 (got this from expensive mall stores) US 1.25 dollars

Others from small P20 - P30 to big P50 -75 to really big P100 up. (US 38-58 cents, 1 dollar to 1.70 dollars, 2 dollars up)

Expensive ones are Regal Tang (P250! or around 4.75 dollars), Clown Triggers (almost same price) Sharks (P2500 or US48dollars) and Eels (P1500 up or US 28.85)

Ribbon eels are cheap like P120 or 2 dollars each.

Livestock here is really cheap but equipment is very expensive since most are european made.

I figured there would be a fish store at one of the malls there. The malls there are huge.

I wish they sold stuff here for the same prices. A good price for a Brain Coral here is around $20-25.

hmmm this gives me an idea....Are there any regulations against passengers bringing corals/clams on board a plane, and will it survive the 13 1/2 hour flight in an overhead.

anyone have any thoughts on this.

Ben

Almost forgot.

Do you have any pics of the golden clams that you were talking about? Do you know of any websites which feature reef tanks from the Philipines? I'm just interested in what their tanks might look like.

thanks,

Ben

hmmm this gives me an idea....Are there any regulations against passengers bringing corals/clams on board a plane, and will it survive the 13 1/2 hour flight in an overhead.

USDA will confiscate it on arrival to any US airport, if they find it. Lately they have been more adamant in their searches, especially in the wake of recent foot-and-mouth and terrorism outbreaks.

Sorry LakerFan but I don't have a pic. It's been over two months since I began waiting for a good specimen to come along. Evena bad specimen. None! As soon as I get one I will post it here.

The golden clam looks much like a derasa. I think. Unlike brown (squamosa) or green ones. Not sure there.

Also am not familiar with other reefers from the Philippines. Most reefers I talked with in the stores have still to learn about the Net. Very few net savy folks there.

DogfacePuffer

Kuya, yes....hihi...can u get me a Maria Clara dress by the way for me...on the way to the fish store too?

My pinoy reefer friend told me he spent about US $400 total on the whole 70 gal tank, livestock, equipment and stuff...

The figure for that size tank here in USA will be in the thousands, I think...

I still can't help feeling that the livestock here in US is so expensive....esp, the tangs and angels...too bad I don't live in the Philippines.

Originally posted by Doe5ia14

Wow I like those prices. I need to go to the Philippines and load up on some livestock.  

Anybody want anything?:P

I'll come with ya. we can line our pockets and bags with plastic baggies and carry the stuff right on the plane.

thanks Sahin!

Yup it's a very young tank and I hope it does last long!

tgrupert.....been to America and lots of other places and one thing I learned....no place like home. And yup the minimum wage here is very low (dunno either maybe less than US200dollars).

and Dogfacepuffer....maria clara? kindof hard to find one in the malls. hehehe....costume ball?

while corals are cheap here the equipment is however are priced SKY HIGH!!!!!!

keep your reefs healthy peopl!!!!

200 dollars a week right?

minimum wage here is 5.15 an hour, but I don't know anyone that makes under 6.50 an hour. when I was 16 I made over six dollars an hour, but then changed jobs and made about 8-9 dollars.

Students can make a lot of money as long as they town they live in is compised of a college, two houses, and a huge farm. no matter what they say in the news jobs are still easy to find.

I'd love to live on some island where I could get livestock out of my back yard, but you give up a lot.

hello again tgrupert!

it's 200US dollars a MONTH!!!! Kinda sad but then the Philippines is a poor country.

I had a jolt of my life last weekend when a visitors who lives by the seaside made a comment on my nano-reef. one said it was cool while the other said "those things? they're found everywhere in our province. why would you keep them?"

sigh......

(she also said my clams were tasty! at that point I threw them out my room....hehehehe)

keep your reefs healthy people!

Archived