inTank Media Baskets

Does ne1 here use a Visi-Jet Ps100 protein skimmer?

Leafy

MrConclusion

Sorry, it's a turd. Even the manufacturer discontinued it. My friend at the LFS says it was one of the most returned products they ever sold.

Well, I'm sold. I'm going to get one tomorrow. NOT

Thanks guys! Sure beats getting it and then finding it it was a bad purchase. I have my eyes on the Prizm now. Heard some real good things about it.

and i've heard BAD about prizms. From people online and my LFSs, I've heard that they burn out, are not effective for the bucks, and basically, just suck. Well, I'm sure some have had good luck with them. I like my Tunze Skimmer, and gonna try a CPR bakpak skimmer soon too.

cmoreash,

i agree the prizm's hit or miss. i have (3) prizms and burnt out 8 motors, i think (they sent me a couple for free). they're great skimmers when they work. WHEN! :*(

i replaced my cpr with the prizm and still stay with the prizm. but i hear very good things about the remora. i really haven't heard anyone pan it yet versus the other two.

Also check out the turbofloater, they have a hob thats in the same price range as the bakpaks, and remoras. I have a bakpak, and speak highly of it. But I have never heard anything but good about the turbofloaters.;)

Red Sea has changed the motor for the Prizm, they are much less troublesome now. Also you can quiet the Prizm if you add a cheap "airline filter" to the air intake tube.

J-Bass,

the cpr worked fine but overflowed once too often. the prizm has an inherent feature that negates overflow but dumps back into the tank :| hmm.

the prizm's noisier but i think works at least equally and with a smaller footprint (depth-wise) than the bakpak. it's easier to clean the collecting cup imo. i had some trouble with the cpr's venturi but i think that's more because of the rio than cpr. i've heard peeps retrofit another type ph onto that and work beautifully.

Hey guys, tell you the truth, i don't think the visi jet is that bad, i had one and it worked out great, better than the Berlin and Prizm, with a little modification though! Instead of using the venturi PH, I use that only for water flow and use an airline with Wooden Airstone for the ultra fine bubbles, get a small pump, airline, and stone ~$15 and the skimmer will work great. I was pulling out coffee dark liquid everyweek. you will need to get an air-valve to control the amount of air bubbles, other than that, there is nothing different. my.02..

Hey tiny, have you tried using some kind of surface pre-skimmer attachment with your Prizm? Do you think that would improve its efficiency? I've seen some guy on his website using the cpr bakpak preskimmer box on the input tube of his Prizm. I see that the Prizm Pro model has a surface skimmer attachment. Red Sea should throw that in with their regular version, cut 20 bucks off the price and market it with a more realistic tank capacity of say 30 gal. or less tanks.

yeah, a surface skimmer would be nice. but the prizm pro's $$$ and i'm saving up my pleading for the 300g+.

two of my prizm's are running on tanks with overflows so it ain't an issue there but my hospital's surface is looking kinda scummy. :x surface skimming does improve the health of a tank immensely imo (algae, protein, light blocking buildup).

i heard hagen's surface skimmer's effective (noisy tho) but i'm not sure if it can retro onto a prizm. i just ladle off the crappie as it builds (or blocks light to an unbearable level :P ).

Archived