Pod Your Reef

non-photo corals

collitchboy

I just got my LR today and have placed it in my tank so I am pretty far off from adding corals. However, I am even further away from being able to upgrade my lighting to sustain photosynthetic corals. Is it worth the "trouble" to feed non-photo corals? I guess I am asking if they are as interesting as the others. And if it is worth it, which do you recommend? Anyway, thanx for any info.

I would wait till you can get the light because the only coral that I can think of off-hand that can survive without light is a Bubble Tip Anemone, and it would lose its color. Just wait.

"...the only coral I can think of off-hand that can survive without light is a Bubble Tip Anemone..."

Wow...

Yeah..that was my head exploding at that comment.

So many things inherently FALSE about that..where to begin. Hmm..first off..let's start by properly classifying the Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaeae quadricolor). E. quadricolor is a member of family Actinaria...which is a family of solitary anemones...not corals. Let me repeat that...NOT A CORAL. Second of all..E. quadricolor does harbor photosythetic symbiotes. Therefore, the entire statement that it "doesn't need light" is bogus. Does is also require direct feeding? Yes...but then all cnidarians (corals and anemones) should be fed. To say an E. quadricolor doesn't need light is completely and totally false. Wow...

Cheers,

Fred

Can't decide if that's better of worse than the seahorse post in the INVERT forum. LOL. If you failed biology or chemisty you shouldn't be allowed to keep a reef. lol

Cheers,

Fred

Smokin-Reefer

bajaj, I never took chemistry...maybe thats why my numbers are so skewed?

But seriously, Try a small frag of Tubastrea, If you dilligent about feeding, it should fare well.

I would not recomend getting ANY coral until you can afford lighting. This isn't a hobby you can get by ont he cheap. How big is the tank...the lighting may not be as expensive as you think. If you can afford a couple of Non-Photosynthetic coral and the proper food then you can afford light. Non-Photsythetic corals are not for beginners IMO. Get some lighting and learn how to take care of some of the easy guys first...zoas, shroom and the like. Buying Sun polyps and scleronephytha is just going to be a waste of money and life.

Whoa, had to recover from my heart stopping. Fred, that was more gentle than I was going to be. =)

Ditto what ODOG said, Non-photo's need a lot of work and patience. Sclero's ain't easy - I had to babysit the thing for almost 6 weeks to target feed it when it decided to open (not very often). Good phyto is expensive too unless you can pick it up locally, but not many LFSs are going to carry live like DTs. Most have Kent, but it is seriously lacking in nutritional content for a non-photo.

Well salty, if he WERE in fact talking about such creature, maybe he wouldnt have said quite clearly the common name of an organism labeled Entacmaea quadricolor, now would he?

Thats not the scientific name of course just a common layman's name for it. I think is is scientificly named: "Corallimorph Pseudocorynactis caribbeorum " ? They are semi small. They will eat anything that drifts into them too, including snails. http://www.kasson.com/LCD/Orangeball.htm

http://personalwebs.myriad.net/Kimball/ob1.htm

http://www.liquidguru.com/kajhtm/vidPages/...orallimorph.htm

BK: Yep your right. I missed the last five words " It may lose its color".

Statement retracted! LOL But info and links remain for the original poster.

You could get some feather dusters....

I keep non-photsynthetic corals and yes, they are very difficult to care for. As well as the spot feedings for the sun corals, I do live phytoplankton feedings every few days as well as stir up the sand beds.

But yeah, sun corals are def. the "easiest" of all the corals I have.

I'd never heard of Pseudocorynactic caribboreum being called a "bubble tip anemone", the common name is usually "orange ball corallimorph". BTA is a fairly common enough common name that I doubt he would've used it if it wasn't in relation to E. quadricolor.

Cheers,

Fred

Archived