inTank Media Baskets

Dwarf Seahorses- So. Cali

Fish Freak

Thought I might post this here as well, since I would be willing to trade for some soft corals.

Dwarf Seahorses* (Hippocampus Zosterae), $20.00 a piece.

1st generation captive bred. Currently being fed newly hatched brine shrimp naupalii.

Both adults and fry available (fry are somewhat harder to keep, and would be best suited with someone with a seahorse only dedicated tank, at least till they mature at approx. 3 months).

A lot of TLC gone into these guys by my father and I... therefore if interested, please be prepared to describe your plans for housing, etc. I will NOT sell to those with improper setups, sorry.

*Due to the size and disposition of these slow-moving fragile seahorses, they should not be kept with agressive fish, stinging corals, or high flow tanks.

Pickup only, I will not ship due to the current weather.

If you have ANY questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

What would you consider an ideal setup for dwarf seahorses? My wife really wanted to get into seahorses instead of a mixed reef, so she's setting up her own tank right now.

A small tank (anywhere from 2-10 gallons), low flow, plenty of hitching spots (plastic plants or seafans suffice), filter that is incapable of sucking up the small 'horses and any future fry (I reccomend the small azoo or redsea nano filters.. suitable for small tanks and flow can be adjusted, or a simple sponge filter will suffice). It's past 2:00 AM here, so I apologize for the lack of details... gotta hit the sack soon...

A great source for dwarf seahorse information can be aquired via Alisa Abbots book "A Complete Guide to Dwarf Seahorses," additionally there is an article she wrote up HERE

I wasn't aware that setup referred to feeding :) but yes, live foods. Brine shrimp, small copepods, gammarus, all work great :) Personally I find feeding newly hatched brine easiest to feed.

im intrested if your ever willing to ship.. but not sure why your not feeding frozen by now? if your really into these little guys why arent you weaning them onto frozen foods etc? thats one of the main benifits of CB/raised dwarfs.. if your willing to ship let me know

pm me

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever heard of DWARF seahorses eating frozen foods ONCE, and even that seems like a legend on both Seahorse.org and Syngnathid.org

Any dwarf owners should be prepared to offer live food at ANY time, and dead food should always be considered a suppliment -- if they'll take it AT ALL.

Believe me, I've tried. They won't touch anything that doesn't move like it's alive. Including cyclopeeze.

On another note, $20 for a CB dwarf is a great deal, especially if you know where they come from -- same as OceanRider, which is the only other place I know of that has CB dwarves. If I weren't focusing on larger, SH, I'd definitely be tempted!

I have a 24g jbj with lr and ls would this setup be ok. Also what about coral and inverts are those possible with seahorses. If not what exactly would i need to do to my current setup to make it suitable.

http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/d...rfKeeping.shtml

Also from the same author as the book. :)

(should've been more specific. Alisa Abbott is the author of the only dwarf seahorse book published - at least that we know of)

24g may be too big, unless it were divided so that the food density can be kept up without affecting water quality. The article is a good read for anyone considering dwarves, as is the seahorse.org dwarf forum.

Archived