Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Trying out the new camera

reef hugger

Got a Nikon Coolpix 5400 for x-mas, thought I would post some macro pics. So far, I love this camera. Anybody got some pointers for me?

One of my favorite zoos but, it is a very slow grower.

543yellow-pink_zoos_1.jpg

Bright pink Ricordea florida.

543pink_ric_2.jpg

New purple plate. It is not quite that deep of a purple but, I liked the shot.

543purple_plate_1.jpg

My wife's Yasha Hase goby in a 5gal hex. There is also a Randall's pistol shrimp just under the goby(little spot of red). It is usually hiding or digging under a rock, or doing whatever pistol shrimps do.

543yasha_goby_closeup_1.jpg

Here are some hitchhiker on the side of the 5gal. I wanted to see how good of a pic the camera would take of really small things. Both are only ~2mm in diameter.

A hydroid.

543hydroid_closeup_2.jpg

A Spirorbidae worm.

543Spirorbidae_1.jpg

I have the 5700...Use the macro function, making sure the icon is yellow, and mount the camera on a tripod to get the very best shots. Nikons are great and can be very touchy....Enjoy and keep us posted

All of those shots were with the macro function and a make shift tripod(boxes, silicon crystal tail....), yeah I need to get a real one. Soon, very soon. Have you tried the wired remote control? Is it worth getting?

no...the timer is a nice function...I have looked at the "super macro" lense by opteka though...My camera package is up for sale as I am going to upgrade (maybe to the d70), but these Nikons take sweet macro shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pics. That seahorse pic is amazing. Really like the effect it gives... Kinda sad in a way, but really cool. I love pics like that. Nice job taking the shots.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
reef hugger

Took some more pics of zoos and what not.

Better picture of the orange, blue, and pink zoos.

orangebluepinkzoossm.jpg

Mixed colony rock. I can not get good detail of the blues unless I turn down the exposure. It's more dramatic this way I think.

bluerainbowzoossm.jpg

Another mixed zoo rock. This was another x-mas present that has filled in alot since then.

rainbowzoorocksm.jpg

My green, peach and yellow zoos.

greenpeachcloseup1.jpg

These don't photograph very well, I just can't get a nice clear shot of it. This is the best that I have gotten so far.

bluezooscu.jpg

reef hugger

Here are some Ricordea's.

Baby polyp of green tip and purple base yuma.

babygreenpurpleyumaclupsm.jpg

Hee is the mother of the one above.

greenpurpleyumasm.jpg

Got this from a trade with tike. This is the one that ate a clownfish. Luckily, I won't have that problem because there are no fish in the frag tank that it is in.

tikespinkgreenyumasm.jpg

Some pink florida's that are growing out.

pinkbluericsm.jpg

For everyone, not just joshnemily --

Are your macro shots really focused that tightly, or are they much larger and cropped? As I've said in many threads by now :rolleyes:, I just bought a Canon A95. I'm getting some results that I'm pretty happy with, but I can't focus, even manually, when I'm zoomed all the way in on a single coral (w/o digital zoom). The camera is supposed to have a macro focus length of 5mm, but I always have to back way up to focus. I'm a beginner (self-taught) student of photography, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

reef hugger

My pic are actually cropped from larger pics and then resized to fit.

Most camera's have a macro mode, like Travis said it is usually a small flower. Your camera in macro mode can only focus between 2"-18" /5 - 45cm (WIDE) and 9.8"-18" in./25 - 45cm (TELE). If you zoom in on an object and the camera can not auto-focus, you have to zoom out some and then try again. I usually zoom-in and then zoom-out a little at a time until the camera can auto-focus.

Couple of tips:

Don't use digital zoom, it's pretty much useless. Don't bother with manual mode until you get to know the camera more or your feeling brave. Generally the auto mode will do a better job of chosing the settings than you will.

Josh

I have a A60 and i know that the focal range changes signifigantly when you zoom. try zooming all the way out and using manual focus. i you want to get closer without losing clarity, put a magnifing glass right in the lens of the camera and play around with that. that's what i do to get all my close-up shots in my tanks.

Archived