SaltCritters.com

Rio 90 powerhead

chufa

I just put one in my eclipse 12 to aid circulation on the opposide side of the filter outflow. Having a battle with the darn suction cups :angry:

I installed mine with the elbow facing front and the duckbill tilted slightly upwards and towards the tank's center.

Any other Rio users want to share how to best use the little attachments to direct the flow?

i'd have to agree with dave. this is my second rio powerhead. the suction cups don't hold at ALL and the darned thing vibrates so much that the vibrations channel through the stupid cups to the glass and my desk hums. here's my solution:

attach it to the ribcage of a sponge fiter

it's not in contact with any glass. now it runs silent. i can swivel it to any angle.

if any of you are wondering why it's so bulky.... it's a rio200. :( it's new and it was free =X. i hope i can cover it up somehow.

brandon

it's my first nano, a 5.5. how's it look?:|

printerdown01

For a contray opinion: I love Rios. They and eheim are the only pumps I trust. I too have a Rio 90 in my 12... I have never had problems with the suction cups (sometimes mine stick too well!). Try bending them, or trapping air bubles in the suction cups (this will create more suction (the deeper you push it the more suction will be created by the air bubles...). I have never had to do this with my Rio, but have to with my heater all the time X) .

printerdown01 left the back door WIDE open on this comment fer me to edit LOL

(sometimes mine suck too well!). Try bending them, or trapping air in them..... (this will create more suction (the deeper you push it the more suction will be created by......).

THATS WHAT SHE SAID !

but it was garbled cause its rude to talk with her mouth full....:D

damn I GTG.... Woman is soooo needing to spank me LMAO :woot:

I have the same problem as printerdown! I stick the Rio's on the glass and they just won't come off! And it ####es me off to when I try to pull them off to clean them and I can't.. :D

I have two Rio 90's in my tank. One of them on the left side is pointed upwards towards the surface of the water and the other one, on the right side is pointed downwards toward the left side of my tank. I find the circulation in my tank is very adequate.

Printerdown, is your tank glass? Maybe it sticks better to glass than acrylic? This morning the darn thing was off again! :angry:

Dave, I did a search like you so much advocate and you suggested to lick the suction cups. I did :x . Didn't work. Were you kidding? ;)

Chufa,

I had the same post about Rios about six weeks ago. I went & bought bigger (replacement) suction cups for my Rio 90 at my LFS. No problem now. Of course I was only able to fit two of them on the powerhead instead of four, but two larger cups work just fine.

(Get the double-D sized cups if you can find them :D)

Ross

I know! I wish they weren't in there... but it beats the hell out of stirring the tank with a chopstick every 2 minutes for water circulation... ;)

printerdown01

DUDE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LICKED THE SUCTION CUPS!! ARE YOU SERIOUS??? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! tooo funny!!! For future reference your suction cups are wet when you put them into the tank... ... :P on second thought it works really well!! I encourage everyone to lick thier suction cups! :P ROTFLMAO!! Sorry, that I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune... but that was too funny... *on a more serious note, I have heard that the replacement part suction cups work really well when the originals don't (they usually cost about $4 or so...)

Archived