Coral Vue Hydros

Lion fish

brandino007

Either a dwarf fuzzy lionfish or a fu man chu lionfish. 20 is pushing it, so be sure you have a lot of rocky overhangs and caves for it to hide in. you'll have to try really hard to make it a species tank.

Or you could get a baby volitans and trade it back in when it gets bigger.

What type of clen up crew could I put in it that the lion will not eat, is there any shrimp that I can put in there. Also what do you feed a lion fish?

Originally posted by brandino007

It is ethier a lion fish or a bass witch one do you guys think would be best in a 20 gal?

Well seeing as a bass is a freshwater fish I dunno how well it would do in a saltwater aquarium...

Anyhow the only lions I would put in a 20g would be a fu man chu (smaller but not very hardy, very hard to get on frozen foods) or a dwarf fuzzy (slightly larger, easier, eats well).

I don't know what your expertise is in saltwater tanks but here are some links that you might not have seen and that interest you if you are new to this whole deal:

www.liveaquaria.com

www.reefcentral.com

www.grimreefers.com (lionfish info here)

Originally posted by Dan_G25

Well seeing as a bass is a freshwater fish I dunno how well it would do in a saltwater aquarium...

Not all are freshwater if i am not mistaken

I have a volitans, I keep him with various snails, hermit crabs, and a porcelain crab. No shrimp. Actually last night I was floating a bag with peppermint shrimp to put into my other tank, and the lion was trying to eat them through the bag. I feed mine silversides, live ghost shrimp, and he also picks anything the sun corals don't eat.

If you're looking for a cool predator to keep in a 20, you could also look into frog fish/anglers, a baby panther grouper, or mabye a scorpion (very poisonous though), baby puffers...

Really you could keep any baby predator besides sharks and rays as long as you're willing to return it when it gets to big.

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/basslets.htm

Basslets and Sea Bass are two different species in saltwater.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mspcont9.html

I know they do reffer to a "candy Basslet" as a candy "bass but its not a "bass". True "Sea Bass" get around 24" long and 5 pounds or so. Basslet's get up to 8 inches at the largest.

Sea bass are also commmonly mistaken for striper if the fisherman is new to saltwater sport fishing. Striper resemble them but they dont have any orange tint to thier stripes as does the Sea Bass.

If you want a Lion Fish then I say the same . Fu man Chue or a Fuzzy drawrf lion fish.

Archived