Cultivated Reef

My First Rics!

Smokin-Reefer

Smokin-Reefer

Well, 2 hours round trip for these bad boys...

The guy told me they were florida, but I don't know how to tell them apart from yuma. There is acctually one huge funny shaped ric that has 6 mouths, and then a few smaller single polyps on the rock. I paid $34 for them, They are my first rics. What color are they?

What do you think?

2758ricordiabig.jpg

a closeup

2758ricordiasmall.jpg

Smokin-Reefer

I'm pretty excited about them as well, I'm hoping they split soon so I can do some thermos trades w/ you guys.

I'm stoked about stocking!

Smokin-Reefer

which ones are more desirable? Florida or yuma? I ask because I've never had any, nor have I had an oppourtunity to get some, hence, I never researched them

all are desirable. nr had a raging discussion over rics the last few weeks. florida seems to more readily available currently. they also seem easier to propagate. yuma pink was really rare in the past. i've seen yuma prices easily above 100.

Smokin-Reefer

Yea, I read that wicked thread a week or two ago, people sure can act like #######s. The thing I thought was....Aren't floridas illegal to collect now due to cities? For some reason I thought they couldn't get anything out of the carribean now.

Do you know anything about that?

thanks again, Etoh.

Yeah...and enough ppl have floridas so they can be aquacultured a lot easier.

Yumas are freakin expensive still. Pink Yumas usually go for $150 MINIMUM for 1 polyp.

Smokin-Reefer

pfft. 100 dollars for a single polyp is freakin-re-dic-u-lous.

But people like you allow it to continue!

DAMN YOU, AND YOUR CALIFORNIA CONNECTION!

Smokin-Reefer

GODDDDDDD. It's probably in the back of some jerks truck, whilst he pulls over to sit down and eat. innevitably, he's going to forget all about it and you won't see it till tommorow at 4:45.

I hope I'm right, So I get mine first.

muwhahahahahah.

• 4 weeks later...

It's stony corals that are illegal to take out of Florida and most parts of the Caribbean. Soft corals are allowed, but can be on pieces of substrate no bigger than the size of a quarter. The reason everything is cheaper in CA is because the Pacific trade is largely unregulated. Those guys are literally ripping apart their coral reefs to make a buck. I don't know what's worse, purposefully destroying the reef to make money, or ignorantly doing it by run-off from land-based activities.

By the way, Ricordia florida comes from the Atlantic and Caribbean and are generally more brightly colored than Ricordia yuma, which are a Pacific species. Enjoy!

Nice rics! Lincoln, eh? You have a good lfs there? I get back there (raised in Omaha, wife is from Tecumseh) about 3-4 times a year...if u have a good store I'll have an excuse to go to Lincoln ohter than finding Husker clothes to annoy the Texans with :)

I'm from the grand platte area....

bikinibottom: a couple of things.... much less damage is being done to reef ecosystems than people imagine, most are just uninformed. And I think yumas can me more colorful.

Archived