ReefCleaners.org

20 high set up questions...

victorology

i'm in the process of setting up a 20 high tank and i have a few questions...

1. the lighting i have will be a jbj 24" 2x55 watt pc fixture... will i be able to keep any clams with this set up?

2. how deep should i set the sandbed to be?

3. i am debating whether to use a remora skimmer or a cpr aquafuge... i can't afford both... does anyone have any opinions on which one would be better?

4. i plan on using 2 maxi-jet 600's for circulation... is that too much flow if most of my corals will be softies?

thanks for your help!

victor

You should be able to keep a squamosa under that lighting(as long as its in the upper level in the tank). I wouldn't try crocea, maxima, or even derasa since they all are high light clams. Since your a little low on lighting(for clams) you'll need to keep great water quality and feed DT's.

Can't answer your other Q's.

i'd tend to agree with jim27. the derasa should be on the substrate and that might be just a little dim for a 20H. if it was a regular or long tank that'd be ok imo. but i think you could have a maxima if you placed it high and already had a mature tank (i.e. get the squamosa first, learn about clams, and then get the maxima down the road). ;)

sandbed's up to you imo.

get the remora or any skimmer. the aquafuge/refugium/algae scrubber (whatever is vogue to call it) will take a couple of weeks at least to get settled in and functioning as you intend to use it. it's basically a separate mini-algae tank, as you seem to want to use it for filtration purposes. it doesn't necessarily have to be tho. it can be used as a true refugium. skimmers on the other hand are an immediate waste/nutrient exporter.

water flow will depend in large part on your aquascaping, positioning and other devices (i.e. skimmer, aquafuge, HOB, heater even).

the sand depth is up to you, according to the "experts" deep sand beds just don't work in tanks that size.

in my 20 tall i'm using 2 maxi 400's and there's quite a bit of current, you should be alright with the 600's though( i doubt it would be too much)

I don't use a skimmer on my tank or a 'fuge so can't help you there, but if it were my choice i'd go with a skimmer

I was thinking about getting a skimmer or an AquaFuge when setting up my tank as well. I decided to go with the Fuge because since my tank was small (10gal.) that weekly water changes would be just fine. And the Fuge looks soo d*mn cool to, it's like having two tanks instead of one. And it adds an extra 4 gallons of water (I bought the 18" model) which is a bonus.

Archived