Top Shelf Aquatics

How do you transport frags to a frag swap?

Korbin

There's a frag swap coming up in my area (Detroit), and I've been wondering how people transport their frags. At first I thought people would just take them in baggies like when you buy something from the LFS, but it seems like the frags would die. Do they take them in a bucket with a heater or something?

So how do people usually do this?

two words - rubber pockets. The rubber allows you to keepp water in your pocket, without having it seep out. The pockets are close to your body and your body heat will help keep the frag warm.

at the store, this is how i was taught to bag corals

1. 3 bags

2. one bag inside the other (double bag to prevent puncturing from the rock)

3. add water to double bag

4. lie the third bag flat in an open palm

5. remove the coral from the tank and place on top of the flat bag in other hand

6. fold the ends of the bag over (wrap) the coral and put it in the double bag

7. shoot in o2, rubber band, and all's good.

if something's wrong with that procedure, by all means, flame me. :)

brandon

no, i have no idea what the purpose of the third wrapping bag is for.

Ok, so now all I need is an oxygen tank and I'm all set.:

hasn't anyone done this? The corals have to stay alive for longer than it would take to get them home from a LFS in a baggie, right?

honestly, i've never traded but when i do transport frags i use tupperware-type containers plus plastic bags to carry them and block out light. temperature and volume are the main issues i worry about.

sometimes if i'm lazy and it's a short time/distance i use ziploc bags but i can never get the bags be rubber banded like the lfs. i use the rubber bands for fragging anyways. :P

yous nyc-area guys are getting a ziploc baggie for that freebie colt frag when i drop it off to dave. :P if i lose (giveaway) another food container for corals my wife will freak! :o

One thing to keep in mind is using individual bags for each item you bring. That way they stay sealed. You don't want to have to open bags to do trades at all if you can help it. Use an air pump to fill bags. Frags are not big oxygen users, like live fish. Float fragile pieces by tying them onto pieces of Styrofoam. Transport the frags in insulated boxes or coolers

dude dont worry about it. i kmove my tank hours away and have kept my corals in bags for a whole day at a time with no losses. here is was you do. get those little rubbermaid things like the mini food storsge boxes and put them in there. then put them in a small ice chest and your set. thats it. i move my tank often since i live about 3 hours from my actual home so i do this alot. you dont need the oxygen tank unless youa re shippping for long periods of time but for a dsay or a couple hours all you need to do is keep the temp tale. not even hot no heater or anythign needed.

go to a nursing home after ya fill yer baggs like BRANDON says.. Swipe Grannies Oxygen tank, cut the mask airline, and fill yer bags. then quickly use rubberbands or metal crimps and wire to close the bags.

Step 3, Run like hell......

PS: dont forget to kiss grandmah.....:blush:

even if she isnt yers.;)

PSS: if ya open mouth kiss her... yer a sick puppy.:x

haha nono. i was going to edit my post but my monitor died! the o2 is used to poof up the bag so that there's a air/water buffer in case something knocks it. anyone have a clear raincoat? i want to see a pocket nano.

brandon

he said my name!:woot:

Archived