ReefCleaners.org

pink skunk clown

davinaster

I have a pair of orange skunk clowns.

To be honest, they have got to be the best anemonefish out there. They're not aggresive, they don't nip coral, and they get along with everyone.

Beautiful fish and a pleasure to watch. For me they were a much needed break from your run of the mill clownfish types.

I reccomend them, but get a pair. They are much more active that way.

Originally posted by joshnemily

What specifically do you want to know about? Care, compatibility, tank size, breeding, suitable hosts,...?

Yes :) (except for breeding) I think that clownfish are cute, but over done. I have a 4 week old 5.5g that is currently LRO, and I'm researching fish, trying to decide what to put in it. There seems to be very little information available about this guy, but I like the idea of a pink clownfish (pretty, different) if it can work.

If you are really interested in clowns I would recommend that you get the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. It has all the info you would ever need about clownfish.

Care: They are fairly easy to take care of, compared to some of the other clowns but, they are nervous and can take awhile to settle in. They reach about 4" in length. A small tank like yours, would be too small to house a pink skunk, it would feel too confined. A 30gal or larger would be better. Like all clowns they eat meaty foods.

Compatibility: Easy going, not really a threat to other fish. They can be picked on by more boistrous tank mates. Best to add them first to a tank.

Tank size: See above. As a side note, they won't spawn in anything less than 40gal.

Hosts: They will take to Sarcophytons, Euphylia corals, Xenia...

IMO, you would better off with a small goby than any clown in your 5.5gal.

Thanks for the info! So the pink skunks get a bigger than A. ocellaris or A. percula? Clownfish are highly recommended elsewhere for nano-tanks. Why do you recommend against them? Is it a bio-load issue or a confinement issue or...

I really appreciate your help. It's gettin' on fish choosin' time!

BTW - If I can tell my kids that a Nemo is too big for my tank... Well, I get out of having a Nemo in my tank! ;-)

I'd say that they are too big.

I'm a big fan of scale in my tanks. I like all the stuff proportianate.

I took this picture of someone else's tank, but it has built on a great scale.

5403sps3.JPG

At first glance, I'd think that tank was 40ga+, but it's a 5.5ga.

Well it is the fact that they get too big and they would be a very large bioload on such a small tank. Even though they get alittle bigger than false percs, they still need to have a large tank to feel comfortable. The fish will have stress issues in too small of a tank.

Percs and false percs are recommended for nanos because they don't have the problems with being in small confined tanks. They are not as easily stressed.

I would go with the goby/pistol pair like jmt said. That is the right size tank to be able to watch the pair interact.

Archived