Top Shelf Aquatics

When do the "rusties" go away?

s800

I've had my 7 bow tank cycled for over two months now, the only inhabitants are my cleanup crew:

- 2 Astreas

- 3 Zebra Hermits

Anyway, the tank has been going along fine, done 3 water changes post cycling, light is on about 14hrs per day. Some coralline growth on LR, but pretty slow. Crabs growing, water chemistry good, salinity at 1.024, ph 8.3, no Ammonia, no nitrite and I haven't seen any nitrate since cycling. DI water. Keeping calcium up with B-ionic. Lots of pods.

I've been very hestiant to add anything because of the rusty brown covering that comes and goes. I assume that this is the diatoms folks talk about, but it's been a really long time (again two months of this POST cycling) and I really add any interesting items for fear they'll get covered with this muck.

Is there some sort of problem that this symptom indicates? Thanks for any help,

R

Do I need to worry about the size differential between the new and older/larger hermits?

I was thinking of adding the scarlets as you suggest, but will the zebras get along with them?

Thank you for your help!

R

First of all, I am proud that you take your time on making sure your tank parameters are good before attempting any corals, that is what i called a responsible reefer..hahaha..

As of the diatom Problem, it will come and go, but with enough cleaning crew, that should never be a problem. Keep up the godo job

:P

Christopher Marks

I would reduce your light cycle down to 12 hrs a day. But, diatoms are a common occurance in new tanks and will normally disappear after about 2-3 months. If you don't see any improvement in the next few weeks, then it could be your water source fueling their growth. Either way, I think you could start adding a hardy coral or two while you wait it out :)

I agre with chris, your photoperiod is a little too long. Try cutting it back and you should see a decrease in the diatoms. More snails would help as well. Add a few at a time. I dont do hermits so thats up to you.

printerdown01

Pick up some more snails, maybe 3 more (diversity will help as well)... Ceriths are apparently really good at getting rid of diatoms (just make sure you don't get the burrowing kind, or you will never see them again, lol)... Don't get blue legs or scarlets if you already have zebras, they won't make it very long before the zebras whipe them out! ...and one more thing... GAC.... This stuff can help you out big time!! -you will probably want to use additives when running it (or just preform weekly water changes)... It will actually cause your tank to take a bit longer to become "truely" stable, but you won't have problems with diatoms in the mean time :happy:

INCREASE your lighting. OR place some macro algaes in the tank to compete with the diatoms for nutrients. ALSO silicates could be prevelent as is Ferrites in your water. Do U use RODI? also how often do U do w/c? EXACTALY WHAT light are U using? it is all reletive.. if you are still using the NO floro light THAT is a big part of it. tyl Ill keep my eye on this post. ALSO try a diatom filter.;)

Archived