Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Whats the best reef supplement?

Darth_NANO

Hey guys

Finally started to test for Alkalinity and Calcium. I have awesome corelline algae growing nicely and want to keep it up. Well, the first tests went like this:

Alkalinity - 160ppm or 3.2meq/L

Calcium (LOW) - 340ppm

I know it should be over at least 380, so I dosed my 20 gallon high with Kent marine calcium. I will retest later tonight to see what this did.

But what is the best supplement out there to use to bring Alkalinity and Calcium into some kind of harmony. I heard by adjusting one by itself, you ruin the other. Any advise greatly appreciated.

DARTH

The Empiricyst

Seems to me like Kent's buffers or B-Ionic... I use a little of both. Your B-Ionic is going to introduce trace elements and a lot of goodies. By the way, if you don't already and want to encourage even more coralline growth, dose strontium.

Still, I hope other people answer this thread, 'cause I don't know a bloody thing!

I actually using a mix of Oceanic and Tropic Marin salts, then I run an airpump in the 3g ikea plastic garbarg pal for 1 buck, then I add 1/4 teaspoon Seachems Reef Buffer which raises Alk and stabalises Ph at 8.3 then I add a smidgen of Kent Marine Reef buff (powder form) to make ph is above 8.0 That usually works but its a friggin knifes edge, the wrong or too much of either and water is borked, then got to add vinegar and start over. sucks...if that happens, usually I just throw the water out. This is my crazy way, but when I do it right, the water is superb, very clear, great coraline. Oh I also dose strontium and Lugols and once every two weeks I add calc. my calc is over 420ppm

I would go with a 2 part Ca and Alk supplement. Don't use any of the crushed aragonite calcium suppliments. I recommend against dosing strontium without testing, that could cause more problems. Also, check your magnesium levels if you are having trouble raising calcium. What salt are you using?

I tried Reef Solutions but didn't notice a difference at all with my corals. Some of them actually didn't look well after dosing. I'm now trying the seachem products again since I had success with them when I had my 10 gal. nano

I personally use Ocean's Blend. It's a 2 part Ca & Alk additive similar to B-Ionic. The problem I had with B-Ionic was that it was so low in Mg, that I had to suppliment Mg weekly. I can maintain my Ca, Alk and Mg with Ocean's Blend and not add a thing. Plus, it is cheaper than B-Ionic.

Just find something you like, hopfully it works, and stick with it.

B)

Bob

When i first started my tank i used the Mark Weiss Reef vital-DNA and I liked it but stoped using it after 4 months and wasen't dosing anything but seachem buffer about once monthly to keep the ph/alk good. besides that i really don't dose and have done well. today i bought some Kents liquid reactor to check it out a buddy of mine swears by it to really get a ton of color in the rock. I have hattian rock for base and its pure crap! could never get good color on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Vang forgot to add that he adds milk as his calcium supplement. But dont' forget if you add Ca+ you should drop in some other trace elements. I recommend Centrum Performance as it is higher in Mg.

anyone here ever use Seachem's line- ive always loved their freshwater stuff and their reef line seems fairly good quality- i use reef complete and reef builder to maintain both Ca and kH.

ive yet to try B-ionic or liquid reactor- also- if one doses regularly with calcium additives, is it necessary to use limewater at all? better to use limewater?

There's nothing wrong with 2-part additives. Many, many people use them with great success.

If you just want Ca and HCO3 then kalkwasser adds them in perfect balance, in terms of normality (N, or ionic equivalency units). Try Warner Marine, I think it's the highest grade (ISP, ACS stringency).

Also, since the composition is so simple (CaO), you know what you're putting in your tank. None of this "special formulation of beneficial ions" proprietary mystery nonsense.

I use ESV B-Ionic 2 part Alk/CA buffer in combination with ESV Magnesium supplement, Kent Turbo Strontium, and ESV Kalkwasser (every other day in a 1ga Drip)..Also use Tropic Marin salt and have had phenominal success keeping sps and lps!!! My clams have added 5-6 new layers on the shell in about 6 months and certain sps have more than tripled in size!!!! Just monitor what you dose with testing until you get it down consistant...When you add calcium users, adjust and re-test accordingly.

Archived