Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clean up crew

Dazed1

Ok, my tank is finally settled and i've added a little live stock to it.

its a 10G tank, Counter current protien skimmer, rio 200 power head, 15lbs of Live sand, 15lbs of live rock, Temp lighting is a 50/50 Tube (ordered a dual PC and should be here this thurs), 3 turbo snail's, 4 blue legged crab's, 1 SMALL stone with abt 5-6 tree/yellow button polyp's, and 1 sabae clown.

What else should I add for clean up ?? I plan on adding small mushroom's a few day's after I get my lighting.

Sound good/bad ? All the level's in my tank are at 0, PH is at 8.3, salenity is between 1.023 and 1.024.

Edit : Also, i have a small plant sort of that was part of a rock but broke off. Should I put it in the sand or ?

printerdown01

I personally don't like turbos, but that's just me! They do an exelent job of cleaning up algae, and a wide variety of it to... But they have a tendency to knock things over in nanos. They will push and puch, and they do pack a lot of power for such slow moving creatures. If you want to keep'em you are probably just fine with only 3 (you would need 6 astreas for the same job...) you might want to add a couple of nerites or margaritas, just for diversity sake... a conch will help keep your sand bed free of algae (but they work really slowly, lol). Bumble bee snails and nass will help clean up ditritus, as will a brittle star... But if you are going to keep any really small fish, a brittle star might not be your best choce of inhabitants! Pistol shrimps also help maintain the sand and scavenge. Your parameters sound fine! As for the plant, if you can super-glue it to a small rock, that is probably your best bet... What does it look like, some will be happy if you just push them into the sand...?

I don't plan on adding any more snail's to the tank. Maybe some crab's, but not too sure. I will probably add a shrimp or a blenny(not sure if i'm right, the one that stay's in the sand most of the time), and maybe a chocolate chip star fish. NO brittle star's since I might keep a small fish (its a 10 gallon tank :D ).

Doing it right/wrong ?

printerdown01

Don't do the chocolate chip, LOL. A shrimp will help move your sand bed... If you are looking at a shirmp or a blenny, why not do a pistol shrimp and a goby (like a yellow watchman). They will bond fairly quickly, and will both do there part to keep the tank clean! I wouldn't put a brittle in my tank either, but I like to keep peoples options open... :happy: I'm also not a huge fan of emerald crabs, for the same reason that I don't use brittle stars... Blue-legs, red-legs, and scarlets are fairly docile (all crabs will be a pain when they get larger). I don't recommend zebras, as they will grow large VERY quickly, and will be a pain in your butt, once they do! I had one zebra take out 2 astrea in 3 days (and I suspect he was involved in another death, but I can't prove it, within those 3 days)!!! Thus, I now have a "hermit free" tank, although I'm looking at adding ONE scarlet. I want to be able to keep a watchful eye on him for a few months (my confidence in hermits is a bit shaken up after the zebras). -oh yeah, they also killed off all of my blue-legs! Like I said, I don't recommend them. X)

Archived