Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hypo-salinity Dip

Travis

Well, I found out the best way to treat ICK.

First off for a lil back ground info I did this on my two new B&W Occ. Clowns (Tank Breed).

Ok, so my clowns have been in the tank for less than 24 hours and this morning I noticed that they were COVERED in ICK. So at 1st I thought medication. So I took out my KICK-ICK and read the Directions and it said tat it would take like over 2 weeks to fully work. So I decided not to go with that because they'd probly die before the medication could help them. So I had a desision. I could either do a FRESH WATER DIP or a HYPO-SALINITY DIP. I have tried the Frsh water dip, only to kill one of my poor fish, so the fresh water dip was out of the question. So my only choice now was to do a hyposalinity dip. First off to do this properly was I got a Tupaware Bowl and filled it half full with the tanks water. then I scoped one of them out and placed it into the bowl. then I slowly added RO/DI water to the the bowl, filling it up to 3/4 Full. The fish was fine and happy the entire time...no stress. So I reaclamimated the clown back into the main tank. Then I examined the STRESS FREE fish for signs of ick and I could only find one or two white spots on him. So I did the next clown the same way and I got the same results.

It's only been but maybe 20 Minutes since I have done this and the clowns are looking great and a swimming around happily. ZERO signs of any stress.

This is why I think tht HYPO-SALINITY DIPs work the best out of all the ways to successcully treat Marine ICK.

I just took another look at the clowns.

1) Still stress free

2) Quite lively

3) There are even fewer spots of ich on both fish. Now it's nearly impossible to see the spots. There's like One spot on only one of the fish...thats it.

Wohoo! Great job, travis. Sometimes complete freshwater isnt needed. I like to quarantine at 1.019-1.02 sg for three weeks, but in an emergency a dip will do just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Once you have you fish in the water, wait about 7-10 Minutes, then net him back into the tank. just make sure that the bowl water is the same temp. as the tank water.

Archived